Questionable buy 97gtx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow I plan on looking at this ski, seemingly super clean 97gtx without the hour meter working too hazy to read. The guy is a marine mech and seems to know his stuff. Its been gone through, all new gas/ oil lines new oil pump. Has a sbt top end with over 150psi compression. But the bad news: asking 3k. Which where im at, it will sell right after i look at it if i dont get it. But im wondering what the chances are the crank still has life on it if its original, Ive heard on these you can only expect one top end change out of these cranks. Someone on this forum said if you change the topend at 300 hours the bottom end wont handle it and it needs to be changed? I dont feel like that is true but id like to see if anyone has any input. Also looking at a 04 gti le rfi, 150 hours super clean, but click no start for $1800. Assuming i can turn the pto, and it doesnt need a motor is that a good buy? Possibly could talk em down they seem the opposite of mechanically inclined as i asked if he could turn the pto and he said he drove it one day and then the next it just clicks and all the mechanics are busy, lol. Thanks guys
Edit: i already have my ski blown up and not looking for another that is or is gonna soon.

Last edited:
1997 GTX should have the 787 engine. and the 2004 GTI LE RFI also has the 787 but fuel injected. Water service is not kind to mechanical parts and 90% of these skis need engines. They guy did some work on the GTX so that is a good thing. Another goo thing is that it is running so I'd pick that one. :D Make sure your ride it before you buy it.

As for the RFI... if it's not running you gotta assume it needs and engine and a ton of other stuff. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back