low speed tipover

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thornhill16

Trying to prevent it from happening again , got my wife on the sea doo today with me for the first time , we had fun zipping up and down the river , we slowed down to an idle to talk with my dad who was out in his bass boat as well , i went to turn around as i did the ski rolled over suddenly , my wife who cant swim paniced and almost drowned me trying to climb on top of me , not realizing her life jacket was was holding her up , i got her calmed down and got her in my dads boat , flipped the doo , took awhile to get refired after that i went back to the landing and trailerd it i asked her if she was going to get back on and she was reluctent but she said she would , can anyone tell me how to prevent this , i seen a few videos on youtube of it happening i just dont know what was causing it and how to prevent it , i would hate to have it happen again or while my kids are on board , oh and her and the kids are going to ymca next week for swimming lessons , not taking any chances even though they have lifevests

Dont go slow!!!! Lol jk. I have no idea on this. When I ride I make it a goal to fall off!!! Only thing I could think of would be to buy a bigger ski.

Hi,

Boy that's a tough one, I have a 96GTI and its the most stable ski that I have ever owned or ridden. The only thing that I could think of is a leak in the ski. Is there an abnormal amount of water in the hull of the ski? The extra weight of the water could overload the ski and cause it to become unstable.

I have never turned the GTI over or even felt that I have come close, the XP yes the GTI no.

Something else I just thought of, are the sponsons attached and tight to the hull?

Lou

As far as know there wasnt , there was a lot after roll , water over the battery i got a lot out , and the pumps got quite a bit too on the way back to the landing , never had any water on board any other time on the water ill check the sponsons tomm

Use the throttle. If you feel the machine start to go over steer it and give it a little gas. Little bursts will help. Or just in it and let her fly off the back... :leaving: You want tippy? Take someone on an X4 hull.

You ain't gonna get a bigger ski, at least not in a 2 stroke.

Lou

Well... that's not true. But the bigger ones arn't easy to find. Seadoo made the 4 passenger LRV, Polaris made the Genesis, and Yamha made the SUV. They are all mosters, and dam near impossible to flip. I personally have a Genesis, and I can stand on one edge, and jump up and down without a problem.

.... You want tippy? Take someone on an X4 hull.
Actually... they are pretty stable too. For the seadoo's... the early square nose hulls, and the HX are tippy.

There are a few problems going on.

1) When you start to get off balance... a person's natural response to falling, is to put pressure on the foot, of the side they are falling to. Normally, that would stand you back up. But on a jet ski... you are pushing harder on the ski, to the direction that it is already rolling. On the older skis... there is a certain amount of "Balance" you need to learn. Even though you have a 96... that is still the first Gen "Square Nose" hull.

2) Jet ski's get tippy when they get close to their weight limits. (From riders, stowed gear, or water in the hull) The way around this is to ride with a half a tank of fuel, keep the stowed gear down to a minimum, and make sure you aren't taking on any water.

3) as said above... some strategic throttle pulses will push you back up. Oh... and while you are idling, DO NOT hold the steering to one side. It will have a tendency of causing you to tip. As the driver, you need to impart some balance. If you have a passenger doing something to tip you... you need to learn how to counteract that, and keep the ski upright.

The ultimate solution is to buy a bigger ski. The 4 passenger models I listed above, but for Seadoo... the round nose, 3 person skis can hold more weight.

Here's my Genesis. 3 people, and still has room. (I tried to get an LRV a few weeks ago... but the owner decided to keep it, and fix it)

93.jpg

High gunwales on each side hold air and aid stability. I just sold a '95 GTS you could stand on the gunwale and hardly any tip. :cheers:

High gunwales on each side hold air and aid stability. I just sold a '95 GTS you could stand on the gunwale and hardly any tip. :cheers:

Bill,

I'm pretty sure the 95GTS, and the 96GTI, share the same hull design.

Lou

Bill,

I'm pretty sure the 95GTS, and the 96GTI, share the same hull design.

Lou

yep. the new hulls started with.... 96 GTX... 97 GTi. I think the GTS stayed with the old style "Square Nose" until 2002/3 and then it got dropped.

There was nothing wrong with that hull... it was more fun to slide around, and get wet with... but the "Round Nose" hulls were deeper, dryer, more stable, and could turn harder. (less fun, more stable)

I personally have an old Si. It's basically a stable one passenger Seadoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to keep the ski you have and work on getting use to it. Play a lot by yourself and get totally comfortable with handling it before you ride others. Try to tip it over and correct it. You need to be 100% comfortable when someones else's life is in your hands. Then you need to teach the wife to realize the life vest will keep her from drowning. I dont know how to swim and frankly it doesnt bother me. The first time i really had to rely on one i fell off a tube and was scared to death. But then i realized i wasnt drowning. I got use to just hanging out in the water. I hang out for hours in the water with a life jacket on now and its no big deal. There is even 1 place on the lake that people jump off a bridge into the water that has like a 25 ft drop. I jump off all the time with the jacket on. They really are very reliable. Once she realizes that, she will feel much safer.

I think you need to keep the ski you have and work on getting use to it. Play a lot by yourself and get totally comfortable with handling it before you ride others. Try to tip it over and correct it. You need to be 100% comfortable when someones else's life is in your hands. Then you need to teach the wife to realize the life vest will keep her from drowning. I dont know how to swim and frankly it doesnt bother me. The first time i really had to rely on one i fell off a tube and was scared to death. But then i realized i wasnt drowning. I got use to just hanging out in the water. I hang out for hours in the water with a life jacket on now and its no big deal. There is even 1 place on the lake that people jump off a bridge into the water that has like a 25 ft drop. I jump off all the time with the jacket on. They really are very reliable. Once she realizes that, she will feel much safer.

Very well put. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys , im gonna have her and the kids go to the ymca for swimming lessons ,never can be too careful

Now that i think more about it and ive talked with my dad more , i had the bars turned all the way right from a dead stop and got on the throttle aggresively , he said i leaned and she didnt and it appeared she fell and took me and the ski with her lol , the ski was upside down for about a minute , before i got it turned it filled with water pretty fast and was impossible to reboard without it trying to tip again i had my dad tow me and the ski to shore , where i could reboard and bailed enough water to get the engine started again , im new to all this and had i been out by myself i would have been screwed any advice on how to handle that situation ? Thanks

i've got a 97 gts and i've tried to get that thing to flip and can't. i stood on one side and jumped up and down and then i just slipped off and the ski stayed up right. it just takes time and learning. if after you get used to it and its still tippsy, spatoons would be the grade for you to look into.

What Ive done as far as keeping a ski from rolling over all the way during low speed is, if you start to go over, get in a habit of grabbing the side of the ski to stop its momentum. It sounds tough, but I got in the habit of stopping the roll before it went all the way over. Especially when the TOOLS in the no wake zone decide to make the waters a little rougher with WOT.

steering hard to the left? weight back left corner of seat?? tried to correct when steering was straight.
We all learned somehow.
Make sure wife feels comfortable in the water and get her some swimming lessons. But like it was mentioned before make sure your skill level with how ski operates before taking on passengers. It's makes a difference with two people not riding in sink to how you drive.

that looked to me like a case of he off-centered himself, thinking more about what the people watching him where thinking instead of paying attention to what he was doing. if you keep you weight centered to the center of your handle bar cover your not going to flip/fall off. like others have said get used to it by yourdelf before you take others out.

One more tip. At slower speeds slide your weight and the weight of any passenger closer to the handle bars. I have a '97XP which are notorious for doing exactly what the video showed when there are two people on it. You get use to counter acting it the more you ride, with balance, steering and throttle. But I also found that keeping the weight as close to the front/handle bars during slow idle definitely helps on the XP hull. Maybe it will on your hull too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back