Just bought a 99 GSX limited....need some answers.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are really throwing the towel in over a pump support? To me that's like saying, I'm selling it cause I need to get gas.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

LOL. I was taking into consideration "billable hours" when I made my recommendation.

You guys are really throwing the towel in over a pump support? To me that's like saying, I'm selling it cause I need to get gas.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Dan, you are correct, I would like to change my recommendation to: sell it and buy a new Spark!

Lou

Actually I bought this to go faster than my GTX at about 53-55MPH. The GSX was GPS'd at 62 by Spim. It was cheap at the time but I spent more than I thought to fix it up.
I can't afford a new or even a good used ski at this time, but can spend a couple hundred to get this running correct again.

Dan...what fixes have you seen to correct this crack?
I have not heard from Nick yet. [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION]

I'll ask for pictures from Brad. [MENTION=35752]Rampage[/MENTION]

I'm sure Tonka has seen this before, perhaps he can weigh in. But really pics are whats needed before we can even begin to spitball ideas, sometimes you gotta pic the best of the worst if you know what I mean. Heck that could even be drilling a small hole in the pump support and pumping it full of silicone or something. Again, not conventional or the right way, but when parts are not available you gotta make the best with what you got.

Edit: Deleted bad info

Last edited by a moderator:
Just talked to Nick, he doesn't have one. He has removed some that were easy to take off others he just left on when he junked the hull.

Brad....Is mine a 1 or 2 piece. I'll look it up also. I assume a 1 piece from what Racer posted.

Yeah, I just went back, that 950 is not the number, I clicked on the wrong fiche--MY BAD

Yours is a 271000954 and looks to be all one piece, none on Ebay.

Here is what Brad found so far. He also has a new but used pump support that I bought and sent to him.

Brad quoted as saying " out with the old, here is your problem"

This is all the info I have right now until I speak with him.

pump shoe crack.jpg

The ski is now fixed. The old support wasn't that hard to remove, but all the labor added up.
here what Brad, Action techs corrected:
1. Lubed the PTO bearing as it was leaking a bit from the carbon seal.
2. Installed a new Rule 500 bilge pump.
3. Checked charging system..it's charging at about 13V, it's not 100% but should be ok for what I ride.
4. Removed and installed the pump support bracket. They tried to reseal it but the crack was too much and it was still leaking. I sent him a used support that Racerxxx found on eBay for me.
5. Found a little corrosion on some connectors and cleaned them.
Thanks to Brad and all the Action techs.

Now just to find vacation time to go down and use it again. :)

Tim,

Please be careful when riding, that charging system was not doing that well for me, I believe when I preformed my testing that it was charging at around 12.7v or below. Its only a matter of time before it no longer charges at all and could then leave you stranded. You have spent a ton into this pwc, this is one of the reasons I sold every single one of the 5 I ever owned because they cost more to maintain then anything else and have little resale value.

Have you already had the pwc moved to your house?

Spim, Don't worry I always carry a tow rope too for those hondas and Yamis. :)

CPG, the ski is still at Action. Brad is seeing if he can bring back to my place. My bro doesn't have a hitch on his car and if he used ours down there he has NEVER towed a trailer or backed one up....so he is out of the equation.

Question to all....I've read the thread "Bilge pump" and wondered since my pump outlet is under the water line ( the hose runs high then out) by the jet pump if i should either tap into the pisser line (and still leave the larger pump line in place) or just do what Lou did and add an outlet at the stern of the ski. It would be nice if you could see if water was being pumped out.
Of course I'll need to plug the current outlet which I think Spim did too.

CPG is correct about it not charging fully.....what's is everyone thoughts on this?

I'm planning to go down to "see" my ski in a week or so. :)
Do I assume correctly that the stator is what does the charging....so I guess my is on the way out.

Spim has a ugly stator for a 951.....it there a way to test it while it's off a motor?
What is evolved to R/R a stator?
What would go wrong with the one that's on the ski now?
[MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] [MENTION=17278]SabrToothSqrl[/MENTION]

In general they will overheat and the epoxy that holds the windings will melt causing it to fail. On 951s they usually get damaged when the little square clutch pucks fall out of the bendix and tear it all up. Seen that more than a few times.

assuming SDB's stator isn't charging correctly... we were discussing it by email...

I have an ugly stator that's been sitting in a tub for a long time, is there a way to bench test it ?

Nick, Do you have stator if Spim's doesn't work out for me. If so, what's the cost? 99GSXL with a 951 [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION]

Can one from a 787 fit a 951?

Last edited by a moderator:
We are coming back down on Nov. 9, 2015. If anyone is planning a ride for Nov 15th I would like to join in. Anywhere from Tampa to about Naples is OK. I would prefer a river than the Gulf as I have a small ski, GSX 2 stroke.

But I need a favor...someone to replace the VTS rod and wire a bilge pump to a switch. I have all the parts. Vince C was kind enough to help last March but my pump was bad and by the time I got a new one (Rule 500) it was time to go back to Michigan. I'll be staying in Bradenton. thanks.

We are coming back down on Nov. 9, 2015. If anyone is planning a ride for Nov 15th I would like to join in. Anywhere from Tampa to about Naples is OK. I would prefer a river than the Gulf as I have a small ski, GSX 2 stroke.

But I need a favor...someone to replace the VTS rod and wire a bilge pump to a switch. I have all the parts. Vince C was kind enough to help last March but my pump was bad and by the time I got a new one (Rule 500) it was time to go back to Michigan. I'll be staying in Bradenton. thanks.

I'll do my best to follow this and see if we can meet up. Kissimmee River is a FANTASTIC run.

I can help with the help you need as long as we meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back