Jet Pump Housing HELP, PLEASE

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

orlcpl

Okay so I need some help, please and thank you!
I bought a 2004 Seadoo Sportster LE DI this past year, ran into a problem recently.
Long story short, I need to replace all the impeller and jet pump from what I found online so far.

I ordered the entire jet pump housing, complete with shaft and bearings. It came in today and as I placed the shaft into the housing and it spins great, but once I push it all the way in and through the double lip seal it doesn't spin freely. If I attach impeller it doesn't turn at all by hand.

From looking at the part diagram and what I see on Google and YouTube it should spin pretty easily.

Any suggestions? Should I grease up the double lip seal, is this normal, please help.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

The most common problem is when you re-assemble the pump is either the thrust washer or the thrust bearing parts 15 & 28, gets pinched, the double lip seal won't keep the impeller shaft from spinning but yes it's a good idea to put a dab of grease on the seal, just to give it a little lubrication to wear in. Check out this diagram to be certain you have assembled the pump correctly.

http://fiche.seadoowarehouse.com/se...=106&b=14&c=0&d=-PROPULSION-SYSTEM---INTERNAL

Lou

Thanks - how would the trust washer and thrust bearing get pinched? What can I do to ensure they aren't pinched? I am not doubting your suggestion at all, I really have no idea. It seems like these two pieces just fall right into place on the shaft. I have been using the diagram since I first started this project and after taking more and more apart I ended up ordering the whole housing kit to make it simple for me.

There's room for movement, there's a notch at the top of the impeller shaft that the thrust bearing and washer can fall into, if you lay the pump horizontally on the bench it shouldn't be a problem. Hold the shaft in place turn the pump over and screw on the impeller. I've pinched the thrust bearing myself.

Lou

Thanks - how would the trust washer and thrust bearing get pinched? What can I do to ensure they aren't pinched? I am not doubting your suggestion at all, I really have no idea. It seems like these two pieces just fall right into place on the shaft. I have been using the diagram since I first started this project and after taking more and more apart I ended up ordering the whole housing kit to make it simple for me.
I did the same thing when I rebuilt one of my jet pumps, I screwed up by lifting it out of the vise by the housing and not the impeller when I did it the second time around I grabbed it by the impeller and carefully laid it on its side and that seemed to stop it from pinching. When I pinched the thrust washer I didn't really know what happened until I did some research, it turned hard and the nose cone was hard to install so I knew something was wrong when I compared it with they other pump I rebuilt the good one spun freely and clicked in when you pushed on it to the tolerance in the manual I'm no expert but I hope that helps!

Okay so I got it all back together, went to start it up and it wont crank over....i read one post that the pump might have been deactivated, anyway I can reset it myself or do I have to take it in and hook it up to computers to clear codes like a car?

There's no such thing as deactivating the pump, it either spins or it doesn't, the MPEM (the computer) has no effect on the pump. Were you able to get the pump to spin with little or no resistance? If the pump is locked up the motor will not turn over.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, let me explain. Yes I got it to spin with some force but spinning. I had some concerns trying to get impeller boot and ring to attach. It's kinda like it just floats there. Anyways I figured I would crank it up real quick to make sure everything was connected and in place before finishing it off. But it did nothing but crank and not turn over. I had my wife try while I was under it and watched the impeller and crankshaft spin for a second as it tried to start. I searched online again and came across this.. answer for a 2004 turns over but will not start thread.....Problem solved! Turns out fuel pump deactivated so the shop connected the buds and reset it. Starts right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back