if supercharger washers break will it mess up motor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoo_mike

dealer told me that if my ceramic washers go on my sportster it will not hurt the motor, he said that there are screens in there and that the washers are made to wear

There thousands of documented cases on the internet about the problem. I see youve made alot of post about this way are you so unsure about it? Pull you supercharger off and take a pic of the washers and ill tell you if there good or not, that the least you can do if you dont replace them. When a clutch washer fails it wrecks the oil pumps and the pieces can go all through the motor. No oil pumps= no oil witch ='s blown motor. dont trust the dealer cause he will more then likly profit from your blown motor if you dont maintain your supercharger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some pictures of the damaged oil pumps from a customers 04 RXP that I am currently working on. One of the ceramic washers failed.

Chester

Oops!

Chester

Attachments

• SeaDoo Engine 015.jpg
    SeaDoo Engine 015.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 256
  • SeaDoo Engine 016.jpg
    SeaDoo Engine 016.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 207
  • SeaDoo Engine 017.jpg
    SeaDoo Engine 017.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 209
  • SeaDoo Engine 018.jpg
    SeaDoo Engine 018.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 203
The rest of the engine. Because of the extensive damage, it's hard to tell if the washer failure eventually caused the rod to break.

Chester

Attachments

• SeaDoo Engine 007.jpg
    SeaDoo Engine 007.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 166
  • SeaDoo Engine 010.jpg
    SeaDoo Engine 010.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 165
  • SeaDoo Engine 012.jpg
    SeaDoo Engine 012.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 139
  • SeaDoo Engine 013.jpg
    SeaDoo Engine 013.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 154
They usually take out the oil pump...I haven't see too many take out the rod and case.

Karl

sporsterjoel, I bought this preowned sportster not knowing anything about this supercharger, after hooking up with forum, I am starting to learn alot more about it, which is great, I am just one the those people that need to know as much as I can, I did just yesterday get my boats computer diagnostic, I found that my boat only has 34 hours on it, and it was only ran up at 7700+ rpm's 2% of the time, came back with no faults and I was able to get ahold of old owner and he had oil changed twice at the end of each season so it would be ready for the next season and the dealer he took it to only used the mineral oil in it, so Im thinking that the charger should be ok for a while

Righton sound like it was well takin care of but you still should change them there a major problem that seadoo never really addressed. you should take the charger off and inspect it. Here a pic of bad washers befor there about to fail.

SCclutch.jpg

sounds like it should at least be pulled to check it, do you have to extract the engine oil before pulling out charger, or does the oil gravity feed to bottom of sump, and also does the whole thing pull right out to inspect

Hi All,

OK… I don’t own a supercharged Sea-Doo… but I don’t get it. Why would they engineer such crap? A simple part fails, and eats a $3000 engine. Why does the supercharger need a slip point? If that’s how they limit boost (Slips at a given pressure)… then they need give free service to the people who own them, and install a normal waste gate. If it’s for safety… trust me… when the compressor is spinning 60K to 100K RPM’s… anything entering it will kill it.

Someone needs to make a kit to eliminate them!!

For the people in the know… what is the EXACT reason for them?

Sorry if I’m hijacking the thread… we can start a new one if need be.

I agree with you, on it being a bad design...That's one reason I didn't buy a Super Charged model of my 200 speedster. I have never heard anyone with a supercharger unit that didn't have a problem. In my yard as we speak is a 2008 150 Speedster Super Charged and the compressor went with 19 hours on it...I had it replaced for my friend under warranty... It happened just days before the warranty expired. The only sign of it going bad was it only got 6500 rpms...and no real bottom end pulling power.

Karl

Hi All,

OK… I don’t own a supercharged Sea-Doo… but I don’t get it. Why would they engineer such crap? A simple part fails, and eats a $3000 engine. Why does the supercharger need a slip point? If that’s how they limit boost (Slips at a given pressure)… then they need give free service to the people who own them, and install a normal waste gate. If it’s for safety… trust me… when the compressor is spinning 60K to 100K RPM’s… anything entering it will kill it.

you can either have a belt drivin charger like the kawasaki does or gear drinvin like seadoo and yamaha but both design can and have failed there wear items. The reason for the clutch washers is to release the pressure when the ski/boat comes unhooked from the water. When you come un hooked the charger banks out so fast there has to be some give. People have tried to elimanate the washers but the charge will just go BANG and that will be the end of it. There wear items and need to be check every so often, Id say check it every 25hr and if you buying a used SC model rebuild the whole thing with a 2008 update kit and riva washers and you shouldnt have any problems.

sporsterjoel, I did pull my charger and here is a pic of it, what do I look for and are my washers failing, my pic kind of looks like yours, but I dont know what to look for

Attachments

• charger.JPG
    charger.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 246
sshhh? lol is my charger from the pic the new setup to 08 spec's, are the washers the ones that sandwich the 16 tooth gear, right. how can you tell if mine are ceramic, do you know what the width of new ones are to relate, also I noticed when I pulled the intake and outlet hoses from charger that there was what seemed to be oil coated inside the hoses and a few drips trapped in there, is that normal and where did it come from (intake silencer)

Hi All,

Personal watercraft are a unique situation in a way that, when in rough water, they can hook up and unhook a lot. Some people, not knowing any better, will just hold the throttle wide open without letting off when the pump comes unhooked. When this happens, the engine will free rev to the limiter and the supercharger will spin up to over 40,000 RPM. When the pump hooks up again, the instant load on the engine and supercharger causes a lot of stress and without the slip clutch, the supercharger shaft would snap. The slip clutch is there to prevent the supercharger from slowing down so fast and ease the pressure on the shaft.

Chester

sshhh? lol is my charger from the pic the new setup to 08 spec's, are the washers the ones that sandwich the 16 tooth gear, right. how can you tell if mine are ceramic, do you know what the width of new ones are to relate, also I noticed when I pulled the intake and outlet hoses from charger that there was what seemed to be oil coated inside the hoses and a few drips trapped in there, is that normal and where did it come from (intake silencer)

Yours are ceramic. Don't wait until they fail to replace them. If you do it now, it will cost you the washers & a little labour. If you wait until they fail, you will have to pull the engine to replace the oil pumps & clean out the engine.
Just replace with the Riva steel washers & then it's done.

Chester

SportsterJoel…

I understand… but a busted belt doesn’t kill the engine… you just loose boost. My complaint is that broken washers have a high probability of killing the engine.

Chester…

Thanks for the info. So, they are there to absorb the deceleration of a hookup. The shaft at the washers is running at engine speed… right? So why not run a one-way bearing? They would allow a shaft overrun too, and if that would fail… it would have a much smaller chance of coming apart.

Question… on the supercharged boats… how is boost regulated? Is there a wastegate, or pop-off valve? Or is it just like a typical screw supercharged system where its driven to max boost? Sounds like to me that the supercharger needs to go, and a turbo put in it’s place. You would have to deal with a little lag… but there would be almost no chance of it killing the engine.

Sorry for getting off subject . To keep it ON subject… does anyone make a better replacement part for these washers??

Dr. Honda,

I doubt that kind of heat in the engine bay of a boat would be good. In addition, while I appreciate how todays turbos dont have the "Lag" like the old days nothing beats a supercharger for boost like NOW and when your trying to jump on plane the supercharger probably is the best option to get more power out of the Rotax. Personally, I'm glad my Utopia 205 has the Non-supercharged engines. Less is more in terms of reliability.

Craig

Dr. Honda,

Personally, I'm glad my Utopia 205 has the Non-supercharged engines. Less is more in terms of reliability.

Craig

Yup… I guess if I upgrade next summer… I’ll be looking for a twin NON-supercharged boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back