SBT Break In Oil - TOO MUCH???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

mejim707

So, I did as the SBT tech said. I filled my oil reservoir with my XPS oil then as he said I dumped the break in oil in. I have never done this before so I like an idiot I took him literal and didn't read the bottle.........

So, I did just as he said, I filled the oil tank and then poured the entire 32 oz container of SBT break in oil into the oil tank.

Now, I have no clue if this is ok after just for the heck of it I went out and read the container just now. My entire oil is mixed fully with break in oil...

Will this cause problems? Is there any harm running this much break in oil? Will it still lubricate correctly and just go away over time?

Or do I need to drain the oil system and fill it with new oil?

I knew I'd mess up something in this process.

Last edited:
I’ve drained the entire system. I need new break in oil. Can I just use my XPS E-Tec 2T at 50:1?

I have to get the XPS oil tomorrow

Use the oil you just drained out just put the right amount for the proper mixture you want to achieve. I don't use break-in oil, just the injection oil and make a pre-mix. One tank only and just add fuel on top when it gets low.

Use the oil you just drained out just put the right amount for the proper mixture you want to achieve. I don't use break-in oil, just the injection oil and make a pre-mix. One tank only and just add fuel on top when it gets low.

Good point about the oil I drained. If the SBT stuff is just trash 2 cycle then using the oil I drained should be even better than what they sent me.

I only ran it with this mix for about 40 minutes in total, maybe less. Just at the dock. At idle, then off. Then on at varying 1500 - 2200 RPM for a minute or two then off. Just on and off and such. Nothing more.

The only thing I noticed was that the PTO was hot to the touch, like holding a semi hot cup of coffee. Maybe that's normal, I don't know. I've never checked that before.

But that's what got me rethinking everything which led me to the oil debacle.

The oil you are running is a ONCE THRU oil. You need good lubrication and it needs to burn clean. When you break-in an engine the SBT way you are putting WAY more oil than it needs to run and it will foul the spark plugs. If you were putting break-in in the fuel tank what is the difference if you mix it in the oil tank. Still I'd do premix in the fuel tank. Don't want to take any chances. For break-in but what you are looking for his hot spots. I touch the cylinders at their bases while I ride the ski with the seat off. Touch the exhaust electrical plugs... I FONDLE the engine. :D :D

You should be able to hold your hand on anything NOT SPINNING. LOL basically that means less than 130 degrees. Sometimes the PTO cylinder or the MAG cylinder will run hotter (at the bottom near the base) for a bit. I've found electrical plugs overheating, exhaust hot spots, etc.... Just be gentle it will come around. Good Luck !!

First off, thanks again everyone for the help advice and support.

I called SBT today if the little bit of mixed oil remaining in the rotary valve cavity would be a problem. The tech told me again, that adding the break in oil to your oil tank mixing it with the XPS stuff is totally appropriate and it should not cause any issues.

But based on what everyone says here I still drained the system and I'm doing it the way this group has suggested instead. I will leave whatever little bit is left in the rotary cavity and proceed with adding all new fresh XPS E-Tech 2T oil to the oil system ONLY. I will then take my drained "mixture oil" and add that to the fuel at the appropriate ratio and call it a day.

I also went ahead and got new grommets for the oil tank since the oil was fully drained anyway and it's good maintenance.

Time to reassemble and get it back on the water for the next stage of the break in process! What a weekend lol

Make sure you put a new white in-line oil filter in.

As usual the SBT Tech is an idiot. You never mix two different injection oils because they can gel and plug up the system. The SBT Break-in oil was never intended to go in the oil injection system, it is to premixed with the first than of gasoline.

You are doing the correct thing by removing all the contaminated injection oil. That contaminated oil should be ok to premix but I would let it sit in a glass jar for a couple days and see if it gels or separates.

Make sure you put a new white in-line oil filter in.

As usual the SBT Tech is an idiot. You never mix two different injection oils because they can gel and plug up the system. The SBT Break-in oil was never intended to go in the oil injection system, it is to premixed with the first than of gasoline.

You are doing the correct thing by removing all the contaminated injection oil. That contaminated oil should be ok to premix but I would let it sit in a glass jar for a couple days and see if it gels or separates.

Thank you! So I did get new oil filters and I will discard the old one. It looks perfect but I will trash it anyway. New one going in!

So the only oil I can't remove is the little bit left in the bottom of the rotary cavity. But with brand new fresh oil running through the system most of that should get pushed out when I add the new oil.

I won't use any of the mixed oil then. I will just mix my XPS E-Tech 2T oil at the correct ratio and add that to the fuel instead.

Does this sound good to you?

Last edited:
You can't get all the oil out of the rotary cavity unless you suck the oil out from the vent line that goes from the exhaust side of the block up to the top of the oil tank.

You can't get all the oil out of the rotary cavity unless you suck the oil out from the vent line that goes from the exhaust side of the block up to the top of the oil tank.
So remove the fitting, shove a suction hose into the hole, and attempt to pump the oil out? The hose won't get stuck in there right?

You can remove the 12mm line off the top of the oil tank and suck out most of the old oil through the hose itself. You can also pull through a little fresh oil the same way just to be sure you got it all out.

You can remove the 12mm line off the top of the oil tank and suck out most of the old oil through the hose itself. You can also pull through a little fresh oil the same way just to be sure you got it all out.

So I filled the oil tank and using my pump I sucked fresh oil through the rotary valve cavity out through the return oil hose into a container. I got a decent amount out until it ran red / normal for the XPS oil. Should be a total drain at this point. Done and Done.

Incidentally there is no issue with the old oil. It's not congealed or separated at all and still flows as you'd expect.

At least I did a total flush.

Back