anyone know 170hp Switch top speed?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Phobos84

So after playing with my new 13 foot Switch sport I like the boat a lot. But the performance just isn't what I thought it would be. The acceleration is ok and the handling is superb. My main issue is with top speed. I can't get it over 35 mph. At 35mph I'm at 7500 rpm, so I don't think it has more to offer. I had read online that some of the Switch models have a break in period programmed into the ECU that limits power until it reaches a certain period of time. I have heard both 6 and 10 hours.

When I was buying the boat I asked the service department about the reduced power during break in that I had read about. The service guy told me that he was fairly sure that was only for the supercharged models, But he then said he wasn't 100% sure about that. So right now I have 8.5 hours on the clock. So I guess I'll see if it gets any faster after 10 hours. But the service guy has me worried that this is it. I was really hoping I could get at least 40-45mph out of it. And of course the salesman told me it would do that.

So anyone out there have any experience with a 170 hp switch? How fast is yours?

Typically the break-in period evolves progressively between 5-10 hours. Once you get to 10 hours, you should have everything that you’re going to get. Although I don’t have personal experience with a Switch, I do know a handful of people that own them… and they all say the same thing, top speed is less than they expected! So I’m guessing you will top out somewhere around 37-38 mph.

Now the thing about top speed numbers is that many factors play into how and when you go out on the water… first thing is air temperature and humidity… hot muggy days will definitely reduce top speed. Not to mention wind speed and current, you have factor in weight on the craft and so on.

Thanks for the response.

I just wish the dealer would have been more honest. After I asked this question here I found another site that said the top speed was 35-37mph. So I guess that's it. I'm happy with everything else about the boat. It's great for the small river I have it on. I would just like a little more top speed out of it.

I wonder how bad it would be to put the supercharger on it after the one year warranty is up? I know HP Tuners supports it so tuning shouldn't be too bad. I have lots of experience with it tuning cars.

I would if they made the compact with the 230 hp motor, but they don't. I really like the size of the 13 foot.

Back