hi newby over here, just have some questions about my new toy, thanks =)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

haydenkirk93

hi, so i just bought a 2002 gtx di sea doo with 135 hours on it off of a good friend of mine, i got a pretty smoking deal on it as he thought the thing was toast and turns out the plugs were just fouled out "go figure" .. anyway so heres my questions...

1: i cant find the spark plugs anywhere that the manual says it needs... can i use any spark plug that fits?

2: what 2 stroke oil should i put in it and where can i buy the stuff?

3: what are common issues to watch out for when owning a jetski?

4: do jet skis have alternators or will i have to charge up the battery when its not in use?

now i do have one major concern and im kinda lost... it hits about 6500-6900 rpm and only does 32mph tops.. i checked the impeller and the wear ring and they both seem to be in very good condition.. the wear ring is still shiny and the propeller is smooth with no nicks in it.. there is about a paper width gap between the wear ring and the propeller.. the engine sounds like its running strong and starts first time every time.. if any one has any ideas what this could be please comment below. if you need anymore info let me know. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
1). Find the right plug.. They have different heat ranges and some are resister and some are not. If you use a wrong heat range you can eat a hole in the piston. If you use a non-resister in a resister application it screws with the MPEM (main brain) and affects how things run. Just google the part number, they are easy to come by.

2). I'm a 4-stroke guy, but MANY are 2-stroke and they will hop in once they wake up.

3). There are many but on the same token, everything is fine until it is not... You want to be careful not to run over things as you will suck them into the impeller and wipe out the wear ring. If you tow a tube for example, do NOT run over the line. It will be wrapped up into the impeller and driveshaft so fast you won't know what happened before it is over. If it acts like the clutch is slipping (there is no clutch, just describing the feeling) or like tires are spinning and your are not accelerating instantly, chances are the wear ring needs replaced. The gap from the wear ring to the impeller edge should be the width of a dime or smaller. If it is more than that, replace the wear ring.

4). They have a charging system but not an alternator. It is a regulator and a rectifier setup. If they are working as they should, you do not need to charge your battery. NEVER charge the battery with anything bigger than 2.5 amps if the batter is hooked up to the ski, NEVER jump start the ski with a RUNNING vehicle (you can jump from your car but it can't be running), do NOT use a jump box. All of these things can smoke the MPEM.

2. find out what kind of oil is in it now; then we can advise to either keep using the same oil or drain all old oil and use proper ... not too good in most cases to mix oil types. Lots of threads out here on oil to use, general rule is only that specifically formulated for PWC, not for outboards.

Yours is newer than the ones I am used to; others will jump in with hints.

Have fun,

Rod

2. find out what kind of oil is in it now; then we can advise to either keep using the same oil or drain all old oil and use proper ... not too good in most cases to mix oil types. Lots of threads out here on oil to use, general rule is only that specifically formulated for PWC, not for outboards.

Yours is newer than the ones I am used to; others will jump in with hints.

Have fun,

Rod

thanks for the reply, the guy i bought it from has no idea what oil is in it, he said he just used to take it in and have it serviced when the seadoo told him the oil level was low... i may just have to pump as much out as i can and refill it with new stuff.. any ideas what could be causing it to go 32mph tops? thanks

You should be using NGK BR8ES spark plugs.

Use a full synthetic API-TC injector oil, I use BRP XPS2, if you don't know what the previous owner used you need to drain the oil tank, replace the oil filter fill with oil and bleed the system.

Lou

You should be using NGK BR8ES spark plugs.

Use a full synthetic API-TC injector oil, I use BRP XPS2, if you don't know what the previous owner used you need to drain the oil tank, replace the oil filter fill with oil and bleed the system.

Lou

Awesome thats adsactly what I needed to see... Thanks for you detailed answer! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back