Hello, I'd like to introduce myself with one tricked out ride!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boattronics

Hi guys, I'd like to introduce myself here. My name is Tony Eden, and my company is called Boattronics of North Florida. I've been a marine electronics technician for my whole adult life, please check out my website @ http://boattronics.net/
I'm here because of a new market that I didn't even realise existed before! Forum member and friend Slug-O came to me with an idea I hadn't played with before, to trick out a seadoo with all the electronic fishing goodies!
It was right up my alley since pwc's use a 12 volt system. Here's how we did it-
Leon wanted to add a Fishfinder/gps combo, compass, vhf, and an amplified stereo system! The first challenge we faced was the electrical system. We had to make sure that no matter what, the starting battery would always be full and ready to start. To accomplish this, we added a second battery in the nose of the pwc. Expanding foam was used to build a spot that the new battery box would fit into.
Then, the charging system had to be considered. How would we charge this secondary battery without compromising the primary battery? Answer- an ACR, or automatic charging relay. This device senses a charge from the engine or charger, and once the primary battery reaches 12.8 volts it engages and charges the secondary battery as well. As soon as the voltage drops, the device disconnects and isolates the secondary battery. So basically, he can run his accessories all day long without any concern, his primary battery will always be full! Then we also installed a switch so in an emergency he can start off of the secondary battery if need be. Two separate 12 volt chargers were also installed.
With the charging/battery system behind us, we could move forward. A custom bracket was fabricated to mount the combo unit, vhf, compass and speakers. The transducer was epoxied inside the hull and reads even at high speeds. Also worth mentioning was the automatic bilge system installed, since he would be fishing anchored up without the motor on, the factory one only works with the engine running.
Also installed for fishing was a wang stick anchor, a custom bracket for the cooler and four rod holders.
Here is a short video I made to summarize and walk you through the install-
Click on video-

Here is the tiny class d Fusion amp. This thing packs a serious punch for it's small size, and the new digital technology hardly uses any juice, which equals hours and hours of listening-
69.jpg

And more pics-
Close up of the secondary battery install
70.jpg

Battery switch and ACR
71.jpg

Here you can see most of the compartment, including the factory cranking battery
72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy! Please ask any questions you may have, I'll check back in on this post to see what you guys think.

Welcome.

I will reserve my comments since I don’t like “Boat” stuff on a ski. BUT… it’s a very clean install.

What no coffee pot? LOL Welcome to the seadoo forum. This is a friendly place with lots of active members eager to help out and offer good advise.

Karl

Fusion amp? Need a pre-amp or head unit with that?

Do you have a head unit attached to the fusion amp or will it run connected to an IPOD? If not, does the IPOD control volume for the system? Any special connections or is it a standard apple cord with rca connections going to the fusion amp. Not big on hooking to the earphone jack to get the rca connections .... I've been wondering about something like this but haven't been able to get the info I need on line regarding this model amp. I'd really, really like a small amp that I can run straight from my IPOD for the flybridge on my sport fisherman. Sorry, I'd look you up but your at the south end of the country while I'm up north. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... Have great pair of the "good" Polk Momo MM6.5 waterproof (except for the crossovers) and want to avoid slamming a jigsaw through the dash to install a head unit. I'm all ears!:bigear:

Thanks!!!!

Hey guys... Its Slug-O... Sorry for not getting your answers back to you... I run my iPhone for the head unit and it works great... As for the mount... I went to an boat fab shop and told them what I wanted and for a couple hundred you see what I have... I love the set up and will be posting alot more here as spring is almost on us...

Slug-O

Hey slugg-o I've been trying to get into fishing off shore from my ski, but I haven't been able to get any of my fishing buddies interested and I didn't want to try it alone in case of a problem. I'm right up the rode in Fernandina we should meet up some time.

Hey slugg-o I've been trying to get into fishing off shore from my ski, but I haven't been able to get any of my fishing buddies interested and I didn't want to try it alone in case of a problem. I'm right up the rode in Fernandina we should meet up some time.

Sounds great.. Cobia season is almost here

Yeah that's one thing I've been wanting to do. We have a string of buys that go out 11 miles here and we ride them and sight fish cobia. Always from a boat but the trip could be made a lot faster on a ski. Some thing else that is a lot of fun to sight fish off shore is triple tail when you can locate them.

Triple tail start showing up in april along with the cobia. If we strike out on one we can try the other. I always like to have a back up plan. The triple tail are a challenge but if you can find one there's at least 20 more in the area.

I'm game..water temp is still 61deg so we have another month till things kick off. You can reach me at 904-591-8906 when you want to meet up for some fishing..

Slug-O/Leon:cheers:

hi, i am wondering where the best location is to mount the transducer for a fishfinder in the hull (front to back approximate location, i assume centered towards the back??) I want to put an old eagle i have off of a fishing boat on my ski for some lake fishing...

thanks!!
ak

First thing you have to find is a solid spot in the hull... No foam!!! One way to do this is to put the transducer inside a zip lock bag full of water. Power uP your unit and place the ziplock inside the hull. Put the ski in the water and move the bag around until you get a good signal. That's what I did..

Slug-O

Thanks!! Interesting way to test... I will try that, approximately where on the hull (front to back) did you install yours? Does it work while you are moving on smooth water?

ak

Every hull model is different.... Towards the back is best so your fish finder works while moving... It's the only way.. Now if you own an RXP then I can take a photo for you where it works for me...

Slug-O

Hi there. Great video. I have just got a fish finder / gps for my RXP.
I was also thinking of a duel battery setup. Switch is also a good idea. Were can I get the relay from that charges ski battery first then the second battery? Im in Brisbane Australia.
I'm not wanting a stereo setup, but I'm also considering a VHF radio.
Thanks for your ideas. Cheers
Ps do you have a wiring diagram you could email me?

Every hull model is different.... Towards the back is best so your fish finder works while moving... It's the only way.. Now if you own an RXP then I can take a photo for you where it works for me...

Slug-O
Hi there. Yes I have a RXP and would like to see a picture of your setup of fish finder etc. Thanks

hi slug-o thanks for the info, I will test the transducer with the bag like you suggested... do you if epoxying a transom mount style transducer inside the hull will be operational?

ak

Do you have a head unit attached to the fusion amp or will it run connected to an IPOD? If not, does the IPOD control volume for the system? Any special connections or is it a standard apple cord with rca connections going to the fusion amp. Not big on hooking to the earphone jack to get the rca connections .... I've been wondering about something like this but haven't been able to get the info I need on line regarding this model amp. I'd really, really like a small amp that I can run straight from my IPOD for the flybridge on my sport fisherman. Sorry, I'd look you up but your at the south end of the country while I'm up north. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... Have great pair of the "good" Polk Momo MM6.5 waterproof (except for the crossovers) and want to avoid slamming a jigsaw through the dash to install a head unit. I'm all ears!:bigear:

Thanks!!!!

if i only have a head unit and two speakers do i need a amp like this? Sorry I'm new at this stuff

I need to make my maiden jet ski fishing trip

I'm game..water temp is still 61deg so we have another month till things kick off. You can reach me at 904-591-8906 when you want to meet up for some fishing..

Slug-O/Leon:cheers:

I know it's been a long time but I'm still interested in doing some fishing. Maybe hit live bottom for some grouper or do a little trolling. Just text me if your interested. Thanks 904-430-3438

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back