Challenger 230 Check Engine Light

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Hey guys,

We recently got a 2007 Challenger 230 310HP and after about 30-45min on the water we get a check engine light on only the starboard engine. We were told by a shop that the engine "ran a little hot" because the impeller was torn up, so we installed new wear rings and impellers, but we are still getting the light. We then decided to spend the money to get the codes pulled, which you can see on the attached image. After seeing these codes we figured it may be an electrical problem, so we brought battery to AutoZone and it was a good battery. We then did a voltage test and both engines read as follows:

12.8V - Boat Off
13.5V - Idle
13.7V - @ 5500 RPM

We also did an amperage test across the charging system fuse holders and had about 10-12A at idle and 0A at 6000 RPM on both engines. I was told charging voltage seems low, but it seems to me that electrical can't be throwing the light though if both engines had consistency in those tests.

The only other things we have noticed but haven't had a chance to address is the oil level seems high, about an inch out of the range high on the dipstick, and last time we took it out we thought we heard some sort of whistling sound coming from the engine. Could it be a possible faulty TOPS valve? Should we replace sensors? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because we are not sure where to go from here.

Attachments

• IMG_9999.jpg
    IMG_9999.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 9
My thoughts:

1.. You are supposed to see 14.5 V +/- .5V at 5500 rpm, so if you are seeing less, you have an issue.
2.. I would start at the engine grounds before you go any further. There are 3 of them at the front of the engine up by where the oil filler tube is. They should be clean and tight.
3.. I would then follow them back to the battery and also check all fuse boxes for any form or corrosion on the connectors.

The only other option is to test the Magneto. It has 3 pins and you should have 50 V AC between any of the 3. This might be more complicated than you will be able to take on.

As for the high oil level. You need to sort this out because it can cause damage as the amount of oil pressure overcomes the ability of the oil separator and the pressure builds.

You need to quickly determine why it is high. Was it overfilled or is some other fluid leaking into the oil like coolant or water. I would not run the machine until you figure that out.

My thoughts:

1.. You are supposed to see 14.5 V +/- .5V at 5500 rpm, so if you are seeing less, you have an issue.
2.. I would start at the engine grounds before you go any further. There are 3 of them at the front of the engine up by where the oil filler tube is. They should be clean and tight.
3.. I would then follow them back to the battery and also check all fuse boxes for any form or corrosion on the connectors.

The only other option is to test the Magneto. It has 3 pins and you should have 50 V AC between any of the 3. This might be more complicated than you will be able to take on.

As for the high oil level. You need to sort this out because it can cause damage as the amount of oil pressure overcomes the ability of the oil separator and the pressure builds.

You need to quickly determine why it is high. Was it overfilled or is some other fluid leaking into the oil like coolant or water. I would not run the machine until you figure that out.
The oil level has been about an inch high since we got the boat in January. We haven't run it much, but i believe it was just overfilled. We will siphon some out and make sure we are at the correct level.

Thanks!

Back