Has anyone rebuilt their own supercharger?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

russellb

Wondering how hard it would be to rebuild my own supercharger for my 2005 RXT. How else could I really know the condition of the parts inside and if anything parts deteriorated to the point I have debris inside my engine? If I send it off how could I know it's done correctly and not just cleaned up and sent back to me with the same parts inside? Maybe I worry too much but someone else must have had the same thoughts.

Really not worth it. The labor isn't a big number. The tools are and the specific knowledge is a learned item. I want to say the labor is like $65 or so. I recommend using this sites link to get it rebuilt. The internals parts are replaced no matter the condition of existing parts, you help to fund the site, they use the latest complete update kit, and it is a one day turn around time in most cases. The tools alone would be around $300.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

If you aren't planning on doing more than one I would just send it off. One of my riding buddies is a heck of a mechanic with a nice shop so we all pitched in and bought the tools. We have done several now since there has been 4 supercharged skis between us. Not counting other locals. We had the charger off my RXT off 30 mins after I got it home to verify it had been rebuilt! :rofl:

When you are logged into the forum, use the quick search block under SuperCharger rebuild. There have been several threads on this subject.
.. Rebuild or buy newer heavy duty SC..
Rebuild $400 to $500 by service. Buy new version $866.
For peace of mind, I bought new. 200 hours and heavier duty with extra oil port hole.

Where did you buy the upgraded SC for $866? That might be something I would consider.

When you are logged into the forum, use the quick search block under SuperCharger rebuild. There have been several threads on this subject.
.. Rebuild or buy newer heavy duty SC..
Rebuild $400 to $500 by service. Buy new version $866.
For peace of mind, I bought new. 200 hours and heavier duty with extra oil port hole.

Ok, I looked at the website and realize it must be a higher boost pressure. Will I need to upgrade the fuel injectors as well? Impeller? ECU? What happens if I just swap the supercharger and don't do any other mods? Would it be ok to run it that way for the summer? I have around 85 hours on the RXT and was hoping to get by with just oil change, wear ring change, spark plug change, and supercharger rebuild. I also have a GTX DI that may get an engine swap. It is not running now. I'm expecting to have to drop around $2500 on the DI.

The newer rollover part number is a direct replacement. No injector replacement.

The newer SC OEM has a heavier case with oil port, upgraded shaft and impeller. You can the two done when you rebuild your SC.
Check the part number on your SC. 867 164 is ok. The 163 is not. I rebuilt (unknown to me) with a cheap kit and the 163 model from my 2004 RXP. It didn't work. When I got my 2006 RXT I just bought new. Sold the tools.

A dealer will just replace your SC with a new one because they get them wholesale and there is no price difference to them. Better for the dealers, because there is no way they can mess that up.

If anyone is wondering dealer prices, I just bought a used GTX that the previous owner had paid the dealer to rebuild the SC.

$650 labor and $350 for the kit. For a total of just over a $1,000

IMO it's just not worth it in terms of potentially making a mistake and blowing an engine
vs having an individual who does them every day. BUT I would NOT have a dealer do this. I
would have it done via a site like this.

Easiest path is through our supercharger rebuild service, found here:
[h=2]Sea-Doo Supercharger Rebuild Service[/h]
It's $415 and is rebuild with the most up to date parts, including metal washers. If you upgraded to an X charger, there would be considerations for monitoring your AFRs. I'd suggest a standard rebuild unless you're ready to start thinking about performance upgrades.

If anyone is wondering dealer prices, I just bought a used GTX that the previous owner had paid the dealer to rebuild the SC.

$650 labor and $350 for the kit. For a total of just over a $1,000

Previous owner is prolly still walkin funny.

Previous owner is prolly still walkin funny.

The guy spent huge money on the ski. I have every receipt from new, original invoice, ever $250 dealer oil change and jet pump replacement he did. I ballpark added them up and it was about $14k total, he sold it to me for $3,200. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back