Does my supercharger need service?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Amberedmedia

Hello Everyone, I’m new on here trying to look for some answers. I recently bought a 2008 Seadoo Wake 215 SC with 200 miles on it. First time riding it ran rough due to bad spark plugs. I have updated the spark plugs, oil change & coolant flush now. Basic service. When taken out I was able to reach 55 close to 60 mph. Well I decided to take the supercharger off to inspect it as I know by Seadoo, all superchargers need to be serviced around the 100 hr mark. My question is I’m wondering if my supercharger needs to be serviced? I know the outer appearance looks like shit however the parts look fairly new as far as the shaft, washers and internals look good. I could be wrong but it seems like it looks serviced. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0644.png
    IMG_0644.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0645.jpeg
    IMG_0645.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0646.jpeg
    IMG_0646.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0648.png
    IMG_0648.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0649.jpeg
    IMG_0649.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 19
RPM's are a good indicator of clutch washer wear, at wot, 8000 good 7600 not good, any sudden loss of say 100 RPM not good, clutch washer slippage can be measured with a dial gauge and specs are in service manual.
Bearing failure is more hit and miss, depends on your riding style and age of the bearing. Either washer failure or bearing failure will cause engine damage. Since it's already off put it in a box and send it to PWC Muscle for service. You will have it back in about a week and the guessing game will be over.

You can go 200 hrs on the new kits, but 2008 is 15 years, if you do not know how long it has been
do as skiasylum says, send it to PWC. My understanding is the plastic retainers degrade over time,
then release ball bearings. I pushed my last SC rebuild to ~10 yrs ~73 hrs but I ride it like an old man,
and it is a gambol. My neighbors SC imploded so I bit the bullet. First rebuild 5 yrs 54 hrs out of washer fear.
Currently 3 yrs 40 hrs on rebuild. When they go you can lose an engine.
My 2005 180 hp will do just over 60mph.

All SuperChargers 260hp, 215hp and 185hp need Rebuild per Sea-Doo 200 hrs or 2 years whichever comes first, So Please Rebuild if you do not have proof on paper then Rebuild, I got my 2006 215 with 87 hrs about 6 years ago now its running 66 mph with stock no damaged prop, Please use OEM (Sea-Doo) Rebuild Kit.

All SuperChargers 260hp, 215hp and 185hp need Rebuild per Sea-Doo 200 hrs or 2 years whichever comes first

The revised schedule is 100 hrs or every 2 years.

OP it's more than just the clutch slippage you need to worry about. The bearing cage can give out and release ball bearings into your motor. I haven't pulled one apart to see but i remember reading the bearing cage is plastic. Exposure to oil makes the plastic brittle over time which is why there is both a year and hour specification. After 2 years you're rolling the dice.

If you don't know when it was last serviced, have it rebuilt. It's cheaper than a new engine, especially if you're not capable of repairing it yourself.

Back