GTX Oil Leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevinrx7

Hi all!

My wife has a 1994, maybe 95, Sea Doo GTX Bombadier. Looks exactly like this one...
http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?82240-1994-Sea-Doo-GTX-1500-OBO

It has a newer motor, possibly 2-3 years old rebuilt, and had some recent starter replacement this past summer. New plugs, new battery, what appears to be newer gas/oil lines. Overall in decent shape.

After we had the starter replaced, we noticed a good bit of oil in the hull and the reservoir was completely depleted after one ride. around the flywheel cover and on the battery. I removed the flywheel plate last night and oil just poured off the plate and down from behind the flywheel. So I'm guessing that the gasket behind the flywheel/magneto housing has gone bad or completely blown.

Has anyone else seen a similar issue with oil in the flywheel casing? Where can I get the correct gasket to go back in?

Thanks!!!!

I guessing the pump itself is your culprit. Sounds to me like the seal on the pump shaft has failed and oil is leaking past it and into the magneto housing.
The oil pump is the only place that much oil could come from. Even though you had oil draining out from behind the flywheel is wasn't coming out of the block. A 2 stroke doesn't hold oil that volume of oil in the case that could drain out.

the GTX in your link is a 94.

are you sure it was oil in the magneto cover? usually when the seal goes bad you end up with mostly fuel in there, and the engine sucks air in through the seal rather than through the carbs and runs lean. does the ski have an unsteady idle? there is a seal behind the flywheel that i think can be replaced without pulling the motor but it would be a tight squeeze. also if one seal is worn out the likelyhood is that there are others. do you have an idea how many hours are on the motor since it was rebuilt? What was the compression and when was the last time you checked it? the oil usually leaks from the seals on the center of the crankshaft where the rotary shaft resides and fills the crankcase as the ski sits.

your location says da burgh, which i assume means pittsburgh, Dr. Honda on this forum runs a reputable shop not far from you.

I guess I can't really find an "oil pump shaft" that you're referring to. I see the rotary valve shaft and crankshaft assemblies which both have a bearing/oil seal assembly. Do you have any pics or anything on that particular oil pump shaft for a GTX? I'm just searching through the repair manual I found.

I guessing the pump itself is your culprit. Sounds to me like the seal on the pump shaft has failed and oil is leaking past it and into the magneto housing.
The oil pump is the only place that much oil could come from. Even though you had oil draining out from behind the flywheel is wasn't coming out of the block. A 2 stroke doesn't hold oil that volume of oil in the case that could drain out.

the pump on his motor is on the RV cover rather than the magneto cover like on the 787 and 951.

the pump on his motor is on the RV cover rather than the magneto cover like on the 787 and 951.

Strizzo, that seems more correct.

To answer your previous questions...
- Yes, Pittsburgh!
- Definitely oil. It was clean to which makes me believe it's just being pulled out of the reservoir and straight through to the magneto/flywheel housing
- Idles good. No hesitation on starts. All in all it runs really well.
- I've located the seals behind the flywheel, both the crankcase gasket and the one on the crankshaft itself. So i'll probably start there. I attached a pic of the ones highlighted I intend to checkout closer and possibly replace.
- Maybe 40 hours since last rebuild.
- No recent compression tests but I'll obviously do that after re-assembling the ski, along with ignition timing and all that happy fun stuff.

Ok so I've disassembled to the point where I may need some advice. I am unable to really get the exhaust out to reach the starter, to remove the flywheel/housing. I'm guessing I'll have to lift the engine. Right now I'm only particularly concerned with replacing the cracnkshaft seal behind the flywheel.

Has anyone gone through the process of replacing the crankshaft seal behind the magneto area WITHOUT lifting the engine out of the hull?

Ive seen a lot of oil tanks leak at the seam also

This is definitely leaking out through the crankcase seal. After removing the flywheel cover, oil drained from the bottom as if it was just sitting behind the cover in the casing. Not good when the stator is right there and was probably the most contributing factor to the starter needing replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back