What is the correct oil?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ueww40

What is the correct oil for my 1994 Sea Doo GTX??? Is it mineral or synthetic?? Years ago my old school Sea Doo mechanic told me only to use mineral based oil. Now I am getting ready to order another gallon and the old product number was corrected by the seller and I noticed that it is for synthetic oil. I know a few years have gone by since 1994 and things sometimes change for the better, but in 2023 what is the best oil for my 1994 GTX?

What matters is the oil meets the API-TC certification. This could mean mineral or synthetic since BRP makes oil of both varieties, as well as a synthetic blend which presumably mixes the two.

I have a total of 14 different engines. In cars .boat ski's ,Harley. Snowmobile. My new sled requires synthetic. Truth be told i would never run anything other than synthetic. No oil compares . I still break in new engines with conventional but as soon as that is done is gets changed. Even my case diesel runs cooler with it in a 95 degree day.

Be mindful though, you can't mix oils. So if you are changing your oil , clean out the tank and lines before going to the new stuff.

Your engine is perfectly fine with the Seadoo Mineral oil and is what is recommended for it by Seadoo.
For some stupid reason BRP keeps changing the names of their oils every couple of years now.
The mineral oil you have always used is now called "Carb 2T" or "SNOW Mineral oil", all the same stuff.

You can safely mix any of the BRP XPS oils from mineral to semi-synthetic to full synthetic. You can not mix different brands.

I found my old original manual and it calls for Sea Doo oil 283600004. That number has been superseeded by 283600118 or 779120. I guess that's good enough for me. I will stick with what the factory calls for

Your engine is perfectly fine with the Seadoo Mineral oil and is what is recommended for it by Seadoo.
For some stupid reason BRP keeps changing the names of their oils every couple of years now.
The mineral oil you have always used is now called "Carb 2T" or "SNOW Mineral oil", all the same stuff.

You can safely mix any of the BRP XPS oils from mineral to semi-synthetic to full synthetic. You can not mix different brands.
Correct / Full synthetic.

Correct / Full synthetic.
Nope, on the 580, 650 and 720 Seadoo's the required "correct" oil is Mineral not Full Synthetic. Full synthetic is required "correct" on the 787 and 951 engines.

Nothing wrong with running full synthetic in all of them though.

Nope, on the 580, 650 and 720 Seadoo's the required "correct" oil is Mineral not Full Synthetic. Full synthetic is required "correct" on the 787 and 951 engines.

Nothing wrong with running full synthetic in all of them though.
Ok. In that case what would you consider to be the better choice - mineral or synthetic

It could possibly have more protection but nothing that would ever show up as far as wear on the smaller engines.
Full synthetic is required on the 787 and 951 mainly because it will keep the exhaust RAVE valves cleaner and on the 951DI because it is so lean and needs the extra lubrication.

I have a 720, 787 and 951 so to simplify my life I run XPS Full Synthetic in all of them.

What is the correct oil for my 1994 Sea Doo GTX??? Is it mineral or synthetic?? Years ago my old school Sea Doo mechanic told me only to use mineral based oil. Now I am getting ready to order another gallon and the old product number was corrected by the seller and I noticed that it is for synthetic oil. I know a few years have gone by since 1994 and things sometimes change for the better, but in 2023 what is the best oil for my 1994 GTX?
Needs to be 100% Synthetic API-TC!

Back