2021 GTR 230 Oil leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

hudson123

I have recently purchased a second hand 2021 GTR. It hadn’t had the best care taken from previous owner in regards to washing out inside the engine bay, and as a result there is some noticeable corrosion, especially in the back part of the engine. It is nothing too drastic and I have been told by sea doo to just stay on top of cleaning and it should be fine. It is currently leaking oil and sea doo have said they can’t find the leak anywhere, so the only place left to look is under the engine at the 8 bellows so the engine has to be taken out, and I have been quoted $1600 aud for this. They said they could be leaking due to corrosion.

Does this sound right?
Also what is worst case scenario that could happen in terms of damage from corrosion? Could they possible lift the engine out and the whole lower half of the engine be completely corrode out? What could I possibly be facing in the future?

Try check sparkys and see if these oil on them and also look down the cylinder heads with a torch and see how clean the pistons are looking then go from there

I wouldn't have them pull the engine until I know where the leak is for sure. I have seen the aluminum bolt caps corrode and cause an oil leak due to saltwater corrosion but not on a machine that new. Those caps are really thick and typically take many years to corrode through. Much more likely that you have an oil cooler leak or an oil temp sensor leak from corrosion which is pretty common. What the dealer should do is get everything perfectly clean and then tape paper towels to the engine including the underside. Sometimes you have to remove the intake manifold which takes 20 minutes to do the cleaning properly but I have always found oil leaks without removing the engine.

I agree with ski-d00, don't be in a hurry to pull engine. If you get it clean oil leak should be easy to find.

I wouldn't have them pull the engine until I know where the leak is for sure. I have seen the aluminum bolt caps corrode and cause an oil leak due to saltwater corrosion but not on a machine that new. Those caps are really thick and typically take many years to corrode through. Much more likely that you have an oil cooler leak or an oil temp sensor leak from corrosion which is pretty common. What the dealer should do is get everything perfectly clean and then tape paper towels to the engine including the underside. Sometimes you have to remove the intake manifold which takes 20 minutes to do the cleaning properly but I have always found oil leaks without removing the engine.
Thanks mate. Besides obviously being expensive is there any other downside/risk to pulling the engine out if it came to that? Can it cause other issues once put back in as stuff has been tinkered with?

Also, the last time I used it before I noticed the oil leak, once I got home and noticed oil it was very low on the dipstick. I never got a warning from the machine, but I’m just stressing I may have damaged it by running it with low oil? Or would a low oil sensor have coke up if it was dangerously low?

Are you seeing oil in the bottom of your hull? If you are losing a lot of oil and you do not see any in the hull, it is likely not leaking but burning it.

If it is leaking, you may want to look at the what I posted in this link. I presume the engine water/oil pump is similar to the 2005 4-tec engine. You should clean this area off and look for signs of oil coming from the week hole.

Can't find oil leak RXP-260

If this was mine I would buy a can of Gunk original formula spray engine de-greaser and spray the bottom side of the engine and then wash it off. Then look for signs of a leak when you start using it.

If you can, as Ski-doo suggested lay something under it to look for oil stains. I would try thin cardboard so it does-not move around. Then run it to see where the oil appears.

Back