Getting my 951 rebuilt by ses need a check list of what else to do while it's apart

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasonv

Lost compression in one cylinder so I pulled engine and sent it off to seadoo engine shop just looking for suggestions on whAt else should be checked or replaced at this point. Also when the rod broke it bent a reed cage and I would like to replace don't know if it should be new or used or where to get it or maybe they should be replaced at the same time as a pair
2001 seadoo xp 951-947

I'm curious to know the compression value you measured in the cylinder that wasn't damaged.

Pretty sure you can replace just the reed itself, not sure the unbroken or otherwise good cage needs replacing (judgement call based on wear)? I would certainly replace both reeds, they're probably well worn and near end of life.

2-stroke carburetor issues often result in engine failures due to piston overheating - How well was the engine performing before the failure occurred? Often if one or both carburetors are internally dirty, this will cause the engine to hesitate at part throttle. Hesitation and lean stalling are an indicator of a lean fuel mixture which will lead to piston damage.

It's unclear how your engine failed, if there was a piston meltdown or just something broke but if there was any performance issues or regardless anyway, I would overhaul the carburetors and clean them well, internally. An overhaul should include replacing the 2.0 needle and seats, and probably gaskets, possibly the round rubber metering diaphragm, depending on how they feel and look (should be nearly as soft as rose pedals and no pinholes).

Don't replace the carburetor metering springs or other parts that aren't obviously worn or damaged, original OEM springs are best so keep them. Concentrate on cleaning out the small passages, especially important if engine was hesitating from a lean air: fuel mixture.

You'll need to align the new engine position, a special alignment fixture is required.

New fuel lines if not recent, 1/4" and 5/16" ID fuel line, also the small oil lines are 5/32"ID Tygon F-4040-A

Good luck! :)

First thanks for the response. I don't have a compression tester but took the Sparks plugs out and held my thumb over hole to check one cylinder had lots of pressure and the other had very little once I pulled the engine apart and saw reed cage bent I noticed a broke rod. Also I pulled the head before I pulled the motor and I saw the bad cylinder was pitted and little pieces of metal maybe rings the top of the head looked the Sam way maybe this will help on the cause of the problem. So where is the best place to buy gas lines and reed cage. Is there a certain type of reed to buy or just oem. And is there a part number and a place to buy alignment tool

Very dangerous to test for compression with your finger. If it was good compression, it can tear your skin open and basically inject fuel and oil directly into your blood stream,,,,

Fuel line from any local auto parts store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what you're after. OEM parts are always expensive no matter where you get them. Seadoowarehouse is good. You can browse parts fiche at a lot of places or epc.brp.com.

When I had my engine rebuilt I put in a brand new oil pump. Why take a chance on a 20 year old oil pump? I also replaced the rave valves as old raves have been known to crack and fall into the engine. I also put in new oil lines and had the carbs rebuilt.

there seem to be a lot of different opinions on oil pump replacement or just doing away with it. I'm not sure what to do. I have seen how to test the pump, just can't make up my mind about checking the operation of existing oil pump, or replacement, or just a block off kit

Did you get a guaranteed delivery date? If not I would suggest doing so. Just a piece of advice

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Go with a new oil pump. I really like the convenience and economy savings of the oil injection system. With a new pump and oil lines the system will be trouble free for years. There's really not much to worry about with the oil injection as long as you check your lines and replace them every 5-10 years. To me it's an excellent system and you use a lot less oil versus premix. Not to mention the convenience of just being able to gas up and go.

A new pump really isn't a bad idea but mostly the tubing nipple fittings come lose and leak or fall out. At least pressure test to no more than 5psi try to empty it of oil first. You can hold it under water and apply air pressure to look for air bubbles.

Flow test is okay I guess, haven't heard of one failing that test.

Make sure the injection nozzles are cleared out, clean them out with carb cleaner spray it through the inlets.

New oil pump it is.
Also Tom from seadoo engine shop told me three weeks from my ship dates would have it back

I ordered some parts from minnitinka4me west side power sports. Great service took the time to talk to me and understand what I was doing and offered parts I didn't know I needed. Received my parts in two days. The best part of the deal when I opened the box he send me all sorts of stickers it felt like I was five again!!
TOO COOL
I've been cleaning parts and hull, now just waiting on engine to show up. Probably still have a couple weeks to wait. I. Going to post a couple pics of the project tonight

The update
I received my engine on Friday afternoon
What's been done
I had the carbs rebuilt
New oil filter and lines and a gallon of xps and cleaned system (probably still going to replace the oil pump even though it passed all the tests)
New fuel lines and shut off valve and cleaned system
New reeds and one used reed cage
New wear ring rebuilt pump and a solas impeller rebuilt by skat trak (via Minnetonka)
Used vts motor and linkage and new boot (still need housing for it to work)
New battery
She cranked right up on the hose, just ran it for a minute I'm going to break it in this weekend :thumbsup:

What's the condition of the carbs? Brand new set w/new carbs and jet pump is like $400.

Sell your old ones for $100 and it's a $300 deal

New carbs + new engine = yea baby!

She runs like a dream. I followed the instructions in the carberator adjustments sticky on the break in.
Still a long way to go on the break in. But man had a great time on the lake today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back