Need a rebuilt 787 for 98 SPX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmaki

Looking for a used or rebuilt 787 for a 1998 SPX. The counter weight shaft front bearing came apart (is this common?) and bearing parts and the end of the shaft broke through the case bottom and top as well as spitting metal pieces clear up to the head. Whole engine is toast and not worth rebuilding.

I'm about an hour's drive from Tampa so SBT is tempting although I hear good and bad things about their engines with welded cranks. SES offers a similar one or wo year no questions asked warranty for about the same price not including freight. Came across a place called Westside that seems to have a lot of SeaDoo parts including engines. Not sure if I want a used engine but then it's still a crap shoot with a rebuilt depending on who rebuilt it with what parts, OEM or aftermarket.

Love the boat (light X4 hull) not looking for tricking it up for speed, just enjoy the great manueverability and its great looks. Any ideas on where to get a good engine?

From what I read SBT is fine for most casual owner's and may be the fastest way back on the water. I purchased a crank for my 587 engine and had no issues. SES is to be avoided unless you want to wait a year or more for your engine. I have read a lot of horror stories about them here.

Last edited:
Westside is a very reliable source for parts. It would be used but they generally check things out to try to be sure it’s a good unit.

From what I read SBT is fine for most casual owner's and may be the fastest way back on the water. I purchased a crank for my 587 engine and had no issues. SES is to be avoided unless you want to wait a year or more for your engine. I have read a lot of horror stories about them here.
Thanks for the info, I'm not in a big hurry but don't want to wait a year or more either. SBT offered to buy back the alignment tool which is a big plus in their favor. They also offered to get the PTO flywheel off which I had no luck with even with a six foot cheater bar and heat. I got it so hot (red hot) I'm afraid I might have altered the original heat treating.

SBT won't take my case halves with a hole the countershaft made when the bearing let loose, so I'll have to buy a used case with no holes. I see them going for $100. Are the white ones the new ones or the silver ones. Mine is silver and has the oil fill port for the countershaft cavity.

Last edited:
Westside is a very reliable source for parts. It would be used but they generally check things out to try to be sure it’s a good unit.
I"ll give Westside a call and see what they have. Thanks, Problem with the SBT rebuilt is I have to buy a used crankcase for the core exchange as mine is busted through when the front countershaft bearing let loose.

Last edited:
Be very careful buying a used engine. Lots of times they want the same money you can get an engine rebuilt. You never know the condition of the internals of the engine and neither does the seller. You are rolling the dice. Build your own or get one from a shop. Besides prices on used parts are nutz right now. Greedy people. Take your time and make a good decision. Find out how much SBT will charge you for cases. SES doesn't care if you have a hole in your cases but you'll have time frame issues. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Looking for a used or rebuilt 787 for a 1998 SPX. The counter weight shaft front bearing came apart (is this common?) and bearing parts and the end of the shaft broke through the case bottom and top as well as spitting metal pieces clear up to the head. Whole engine is toast and not worth rebuilding.

I'm about an hour's drive from Tampa so SBT is tempting although I hear good and bad things about their engines with welded cranks. SES offers a similar one or wo year no questions asked warranty for about the same price not including freight. Came across a place called Westside that seems to have a lot of SeaDoo parts including engines. Not sure if I want a used engine but then it's still a crap shoot with a rebuilt depending on who rebuilt it with what parts, OEM or aftermarket.

Love the boat (light X4 hull) not looking for tricking it up for speed, just enjoy the great manueverability and its great looks. Any ideas on where to get a good engine?
What did you end up doing? I am about to purchase a new (rebuilt) engine and strongly considering SBT for ease and reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back