1996 seadoo GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Reiserdm

Good morning everyone

Just looking for some advice. Never owned a ski (but a relatively competent mechanic on cars), however looking for a project this summer and this opportunity came about to get a 96 GTX dirt cheap. The owner got it running but is stating oil is spitting out of the exhaust when giving it throttle. Was reading up that the crank seals seep, and that if it sat for the past year or so may be normal. Anyone else experienced this before and gotten away with not rebuilding? Owner does not know much about it, compression test would be my first order of business. Price is basically the cost of the trailer and I get the ski free. Any advice appreciated, link below. Thanks

Link

As long as compression is within the range you should be able to put put in a valve to stop the oil from pooling in the engine when sitting for a little while or longer. Without know what condition the seals are in, obviously they are leaking , you don't know how long it will last. I have heard of people going several seasons with this issue.

Read the sticky post at the beginning of this forum on "What to look for when buying a used Seadoo". This will give you a rough idea of what else you need to address and spend to get the ski in shape in addition to the crank oil seals.

Good morning everyone

Just looking for some advice. Never owned a ski (but a relatively competent mechanic on cars), however looking for a project this summer and this opportunity came about to get a 96 GTX dirt cheap. The owner got it running but is stating oil is spitting out of the exhaust when giving it throttle. Was reading up that the crank seals seep, and that if it sat for the past year or so may be normal. Anyone else experienced this before and gotten away with not rebuilding? Owner does not know much about it, compression test would be my first order of business. Price is basically the cost of the trailer and I get the ski free. Any advice appreciated, link below. Thanks

Link
The oil injection pump could be leaking oil also or instead of. If you take off the rotary cover, you may see a stream of oil from the injection holes. You can pressure test the crank seals by connecting to the oil inlet and return line to the rotary shaft chamber and applying a little pressure to them and see how long it holds. Somebody might correct me, but I think new seals should hold about 8 PSI, I don't think I would apply that much pressure to an old seal. If the pressure test passes, then pull the rotary cover and check for injector leaks. Be careful not to disturb the rotary valve timing when you remove the cover.

Them skis are great good power handle good. Now that could be leaking crank seals or an injection pump being miss adjusted. But even if it’s a crank seals you can buy a new crank with new seals for under 300$ and than a gasket got and then boom your ready to go. And could even put a set of pistons in it if you fancy

You said it runs and your getting it for the price of the trailer. I wouldn’t spend to much time thinking about if it’s worth it or not for a free ski

You said it runs and your getting it for the price of the trailer. I wouldn’t spend to much time thinking about if it’s worth it or not for a free ski
This is very true, but I think I ended up making out pretty well. Put a new battery in and the ski fires up every time without a doubt, compression 150 psi on each cylinder. Oil still coming from the exhaust, but I installed a shut off valve to try and help while it is sitting. Think it needs a good run on the water.

This is very true, but I think I ended up making out pretty well. Put a new battery in and the ski fires up every time without a doubt, compression 150 psi on each cylinder. Oil still coming from the exhaust, but I installed a shut off valve to try and help while it is sitting. Think it needs a good run on the water.
You may not even need to close the shut off valve during the summer while you are using it. Try leaving the valve open and take the plugs out, ground the plug wires and roll it over to see if any oil shoots out. Might just need the valve over the winter during long term storage. Whatever you do, don’t forget to turn the valve open before you ride. I seen a post once where the guy would hang his key in the engine bay under the seat so he wouldn’t forget. Good for you on the great find. Enjoy

Back