Fuel line replacement and carb rebuild 1998 gsx ltd.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmob73

Thought I had better start a new thread rather than clog up the meet and greet.

A couple of minor issues with it which led me to this forum and has already given me some good pointers as to what to look at.

She bogs down at around 40MPH, anything below that is fine and the acceleration is excellent, if I keep it just below then she runs great. Shown low batt since I bought her but has ran fine until last weekend where she failed to start at the end of the day, this may be due to trying to learn to wakeboard so lots of stops and starts.

I have on order new fuel lines as they are still the grey ones, got a new battery coming tomorrow as well as a couple of new spark plugs.

The next tip I have picked up from the forum is the voltage regulator, so once I put the new battery in I think I may disconnect the red wire for a quick run to see if that clears it.

Thanks to RodInEscondido and Coastiejoe for their advice on fuel lines, etc.

I have the fuel lines, spark plugs and the new battery (on charge) and have just ordered the carb rebuild kit which should arrive in a couple of days (chance to swap out the rest). I will start with the clean of the selector and see if it needs replacing.

Seller said that it had Engine and Pump rebuilt 20 hours ago at Jetshed, new plugs and RAVE valves cleaned last year, so I’m hoping things aren’t too bad.

It came with the full manufacturers service manual, I will try and scan it in for you if there is not one already available on the forum.

I will let you know how I get on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The next tip I have picked up from the forum is the voltage regulator, so once I put the new battery in I think I may disconnect the red wire for a quick run to see if that clears it.

Could you please explain this about the "red wire" being disconnected and what that has to do with the voltage regulator? I have intermittent output from my information center, sometimes it flashes, sometimes says "low voltage", and threads I've read and youtube vids I've watched sometimes blame the voltage regulator.

Take selector apart to clean. There is an O ring in there that carb cleaner will / may destroy. Order a pop off tester too. You will need it to check pop off on carb. You can use it to test fuel system too for leaks. It is easier to suck gas then fuel at higher engine demand. Your tank vents should be replaced too. They probably are original equipment. Look at the gasket on your fuel filter / water separator under front hatch / storage area. The gasket dries out or cracks then, no seal and it lets air in. Might bypass it with some steel tubing and see if it cures problem. I don't know if you have alcohol in the fuel in your country. That is what makes fuel lines deteriorate.

Update:
All grey fuel lines replaced
New spark plugs
New battery

Carb has now been rebuilt and been off and back on four times!!!

Some silly mistakes when rebuilding, the worst being using a Philips screw driver to knock in the brass seat for the needle. Yes I now realise how stupid this was so am posting to prevent anyone doing the same.
This created a nice neat cross in the bottom of the seat so is no longer air tight!
Having tried various methods of creating a seal I resorted to gentle drilling, think it may have worked except for the fact that it is now too deep for the needle.
Now waiting fora new needle and seat.
Does anyone know if a 1999 XP 947 951 set of carbs will fit the 1998 gsx ltd engine? They look very similar except the choke connection is on the other side.

Nibroc-----indeed I am. Happy in the knowledge that if I lost my sight I could still whip off the carb and strip it down now. Top tip - buy a spare set of tools to replace the ones you either drop under the engine or launch as far as you can when you cut yourself for the 3rd time in the same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back