717 Doesn't start after carb rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

LilMack

a while back my 96 spx 717 was starting to bog. So I replaced the fuel lines and got new carbs. It had a major bog after, and was leaking gas out of the carb, so I took the carbs out and rebuilt them. Now it won’t start. I don’t know what to do. Any ideas?

Did you use genuine Mikuni? Follow Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread, change your fuel selector valve and the o-ring in the fuel filter/water seperator. You can run a fuel line from a container to the inlet on the carb, if it runs fine this way your issues are not the carb. If it still runs bad, then carb issue. How is your compression? Check that first.

Does it run dumping a teeny cap of gas into the cylinder, and does it have spark? no ignition == no spark or fuel (and check the carb settings for high / low idle.)

Did you use genuine Mikuni? Follow Mikidymac’s carb rebuild thread, change your fuel selector valve and the o-ring in the fuel filter/water seperator. You can run a fuel line from a container to the inlet on the carb, if it runs fine this way your issues are not the carb. If it still runs bad, then carb issue. How is your compression? Check that first.
It ran ok before put the new carbs in, so it’s definitely a fueling issue. Yes the carbs are mikuni, but they were used and seem no better or even worse than stock. I replaced them because they had some rust in them, and I had to replace the grey fuel lines at the same time.

I’ve had them with rust, probably about the same amount as the ones Mikidymac used for his carb rebuild thread and they cleaned up fine. You would be better off buying the back to OEM carb rebuild kit from OSD marine than buying used carbs.

I rebuilt them once with a cheap kit, and after it didn’t even start. So I think i might get the osd one

I rebuilt them once with a cheap kit, and after it didn’t even start. So I think i might get the osd one
Yes,,it’s very common for the cheap carb kits to cause problems, when your ordering for 8.00 you should add the lever arm for the needle just in case someone has bent the old arm on it, you won’t need to bend the new arm or anything.

The kit came with a new lever arm, spring, and new needle and seat. But they were all the wrong size so i reused the old ones.

Back