Seadoo 717 - Need some help with carb tuning

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

owenray99

Hey guys, this seadoo 717 is in my 1998 seadoo sportster single engine. I have 2 other 717 seadoos currently that seem to all run fine after my carb rebuilds. I've rebuilt the carb, put it on and went to the ramp to do some testing. Fires right up under it's own fuel.. I can sit at the ramp and rev it just fine. But when I try to leave it around half throttle, it sputters and dies. maybe I just need to adjust some jets, i'm not sure. Any ideas where to look with the symptoms i described? Clearly the accelerator pump is working good, as I can rev it just fine. It is getting fuel because it will idle just fine. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Did you set your high and low speed adjusters to factory, do you have the right spring for that carb. Also, did you use an OEM rebuild kit? Did you check pop off and for leaks? if you are unfamiliar with any of this there is a carb rebuild thread on the main page for carbs, it will show you everything.

I used OEM Rebuild kit
DId not check pop off yet
Everything is set to factory settings

maybe i need to check pop off pressure

I used OEM Rebuild kit
DId not check pop off yet
Everything is set to factory settings

maybe i need to check pop off pressure
I would check pop off, it will also tell you if you have the right spring in there, sometimes, wrong spring can cause it to be high or low.

Is you accelerator pump actually working??
It helps the transition between low and high rpm, when you open the throttle you should see fuel squirting down into the throttle body
If you pop off pressures aren’t right it won’t run properly

Is you accelerator pump actually working??
It helps the transition between low and high rpm, when you open the throttle you should see fuel squirting down into the throttle body
If you pop off pressures aren’t right it won’t run properly
I see it squirt fuel down the carb when i rev it, so i assumed it was working

Ok, then it’s likely working, you want to have some play in the arm for the accelerator pump or it could leak fuel through the circuit.
If you haven’t checked your pop off pressures you definitely need to do that, not having them set right is basically the same as not setting the float height on a motorcycle or snowmobile carburetor properly

Back