Florida Classifieds

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if it pays off, i'm probably working for about $8 an hour with all the time invested but honestly i'd be watching reruns of big bang theory or playing isketch anyway so its more productive, keeps me at home and away from the bars.

the biggest difference monetarily is probably only $150 most of the time, but they sure do sell faster ! Generally if I can get a serious buyer to the front door, I can sell a clean ski pretty dam easy. not much to pick apart if its shiny, has an engine with a fresh coat of paint, smells like lemon inside, and starts on the first try.

some of the ad's I see for $1500 beaters with "problems' are shocking to me, i mean for christ sake, at least tip it up so the pic doesn't show the footwells full of dirty black water !, absolutely no effort is made before they take the pic's and a ski almost always looks (and smells)worse in person than in the pic's,

I probably buy about half of the ski's I go look at, I've walked away from many deals just because it didn't look like it was worth the effort to turn a nickle into a dime.

not sure if it pays off, i'm probably working for about $8 an hour with all the time invested but honestly i'd be watching reruns of big bang theory or playing isketch anyway so its more productive, keeps me at home and away from the bars.

the biggest difference monetarily is probably only $150 most of the time, but they sure do sell faster ! Generally if I can get a serious buyer to the front door, I can sell a clean ski pretty dam easy. not much to pick apart if its shiny, has an engine with a fresh coat of paint, smells like lemon inside, and starts on the first try.

some of the ad's I see for $1500 beaters with "problems' are shocking to me, i mean for christ sake, at least tip it up so the pic doesn't show the footwells full of dirty black water !, absolutely no effort is made before they take the pic's and a ski almost always looks (and smells)worse in person than in the pic's,

I probably buy about half of the ski's I go look at, I've walked away from many deals just because it didn't look like it was worth the effort to turn a nickle into a dime

I know right.
It takes a second.
But by that time they have lost all intrest but still want to get retail

:puke:

things sell fast when they are shiney :)

i like it when somebody goes and looks at 3 ski's before they see mine in the garage, I hear that all the time, "man, the last two ski's I looked at this morning were dirty, beat up, and smelled bad, this thing is really clean !"

haha true, when you wet sand, do you sand and then wet sand and paint? or just wet sand to get the scratches out, like compounding?

this is a lil diff, but one time i went to a marine salvage yard, and they had a jet ski junkyard, and there were a ton of tadpoles in the footwells of one, i thought it was funny, but def agree on the dirty water footwell, in one of the craigslist postings, i just saw that too

haha true, when you wet sand, do you sand and then wet sand and paint? or just wet sand to get the scratches out, like compounding?

9X out of 10, the gel coat (which is amazing stuff BTW) wet sands up real nice with 1500 paper or the 3000 grit cloth, and I don't have to paint. for me wet sanding is just a little faster & easier than compounding, although many time's I compound after that as well, but I don't have to paint very often, assuming I buy the right ski I'm looking for hulls that won't need that... besides its hard to color match and expensive for tiny little cans of the chit, unless its bright white, then I can use good old appliance epoxy ....

lol ya exactly, it would take 30 seconds with a hose to fix that ...

i picked up an XL800 Yami that was broken down on a lake, engine was toast, seats rotted thru, pump was frozen and the lady was running a hose over it when I got there (i had given her about 5 hours notice), like that dam hose was going to bring up the price.

haha, that's super funny, that sounds like a lot of work on that yamaha, looks like pretty much what you're paying for is the hull, with title of course, hopefully it was dirt cheap.

haha, that's super funny, that sounds like a lot of work on that yamaha, looks like pretty much what you're paying for is the hull, with title of course, hopefully it was dirt cheap.

yes, that was one of my worst buys, i paid 350, had bad crank, needed top end, the only thing intact were the cases. ended up buying a complete 800 motor for $500 that turned out to have a bad crank as well, then finally going the SBT core crank route, did a TON of work on the dam thing and made about $400 profit (including selling off duplicate core cyl's and the duplicate cases), and I still have the friggen complete exhaust manifold and pipe in my garage since I can't sell it for anything worth my time. now that I think about it.. it WAS my worst buy ever.. :) since i just remembered that I had to buy matching Yamaha paint for it as well....

wow after all that, good thing u do ur own work, or you'd be hittin losses for sure. I haven't gotten into doing any of this yet, but anything I see with a bad "starter" i'm thinking worse case scenario if i put a new motor into it, would it still be worth it. and for me, unless there are 2 of them on a double trailer, than prob not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back