disappointed 02 Islandia... need more bottom end power!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattelk

Well we got to take our "new to us" 02 Islandia out with the whole family and some friends over Memorial Daym weekend. We had a super time but were not able to get adults up on skis. I am not a huge guy, 175 pounds, and the boat only had 2 adults and three small kids on it. The boat just couldn't get a little more umph it needed so I could stand up. It drug me for a long was and I tried 9 times and after that I said it's :cheers: time! Then I drove and tried getting my buddy up who goes about 200 ibs, same adults and kids on the boat to no avail. I know if it was probably just the driver and a kid as flagger I probably could have gotten up but geez! We had the boat running 42 mph with four adults and six kids on it. What can be done, if anything, to try and get some low end power? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and it has the Merc M2 240 horse.

Have you done a compression test to see it the compression is low? It should be at 150 psi ideally.

Karl

Make sure your impeller and wear housing are in good shape. If they are out of spec, or beat up at all you will lose a lot of performance.

If everything looks OK, but it just doesn't preform the way you would like, the easiest way to get more bottom end would be to change the impeller. Just remember when you do you may give up some bottom end.

Replacement performance Impellers.
Mercury performance high skew part number 47-883796T01.
Solas performance impeller is part number MC-CD-22/39.

Aaron:cheers:

Make sure you are getting the max rpm on your boat also. Good rpm and good impeller/wear ring, and you should have the thrust to pull a skier for sure.

Good rpm but limited thrust then the look at the impleer, wear ring, sucking air somewhere, etc..

Not getting the rpm's then start looking at engine and fuel system.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Karl, the compression on all 6 is 133 to 140, I was told here this seemed good for the M2.?.? As far as the impellar and wear ring, sorry guys you are kinda speaking greek to me. Where and what do I look for? I am mechanically inclined but this is our first boat. I feel like a DA for not knowing what you are talking about but I haven't had the time to go through everything good yet! Thanks-

looked at the seadoo fiche and not showing this at all. Is this a merc thing? May have to visit there fiche to get the exploded view of the purpolsion system.

You can see the impeller inside the wear housing if you look in either end of your jet pump. Get a feeler gauge and check the clearance between the impeller and housing. It should be less than .100 of an inch, or 2.54mm. Also make sure the impeller looks in good shape. Any nicks, dents or bends can severely affect performance. The wear housing should also be nice and smooth with no gouges.

Aaron:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back