2000 Seadoo Islandia with Mercury M2 V6 240hp EFI engine Problems!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimus

I am back again after a long painful summer having to deal my 2000 Seadoo Islandia with Mercury M2 V6 240hp EFI engine.

I bought this boat (my first) back in November 2021. When we took it for a test drive, it wouldn’t start right away. The previous owner said it is a battery issue and when he brought the battery booster, it worked. So I didn’t think much of it.
We went on the lake, 2 of us, and it seemed to be smooth ride. But what do I know!!!

Early on in the summer, I went on the boat with a friend who owns a challenger, has the same engine as mine, and he brought to my attention that the boat is little slow getting on plane and will not go over 30-35 mph, even though the RPM is hitting at least 6000. But we thought maybe because the Islandia is heavier than his.
I was told it might be impeller or jet pump issue and took it to a mechanic. He started checking on the engine to make sure that part is working correctly first, and found that we don’t have sparks on all cylinder. At that point we hit another problem, which was starting the boat.
Changed the Spark plugs and all the coils, Protection Module, temperature sensor and trigger but the starting problem did not go away.
Compression is about 120psi

It seemed like, when the boat sits for an hr or so it would start, but if you shut it off and try to start it again, it won’t. You keep trying and the engine floods.

I decided to take it another mechanic, he checked everything and removed the Guardian, but still the same problem. He also found the TPS is not reading correctly.
Finally, he decided to put a lift pump kit in the diaphragm pump and the starting issue went away. He also adjusted the TPS. These two things he did, took away a lot of the smoke problem.
We tested the boat and it was running much better and I was hitting 40mph no problem when riding alone.

Towards the end of the summer, I took a trip to the lake with my family and few others. We had 6 adults and 6 kids
The boat will not go on plane, and max speed was just over 10mph. Even when pushing the throttle all the way up. We got to the small island in the lake, dropped everyone off and went with two of my friends to figure out what it was. We hit 40mph no problem. So it seems that with that many people, the boat just won’t go.

The last trip in the summer we had 3 adults and 5 kids. The boat struggled to hit plane, but we were able to hit about 35mph and got to our destination.
When we wanted to go back, I tried starting the boat but forgot to plug the safety pin. I plugged It back in and tried to start the boat but it just wouldn’t. We had to get towed back.

I want to get an early start on this boat so I don’t waste another summer.
Could the TPS be causing the starting problem? I believe the correct part# is 14851004, but it costs about $1200 Canadian for a new one
Could the jet pump or the casing be causing the speed issue (this boat doesn’t have a wear ring)? Or 120PSI is just not enough?
PS: The engine was rebuilt in 2014

Attachments

• IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7115.jpg
    IMG_7115.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7211.jpg
    IMG_7211.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7258.jpg
    IMG_7258.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
I am back again after a long painful summer having to deal my 2000 Seadoo Islandia with Mercury M2 V6 240hp EFI engine.

I bought this boat (my first) back in November 2021. When we took it for a test drive, it wouldn’t start right away. The previous owner said it is a battery issue and when he brought the battery booster, it worked. So I didn’t think much of it.
We went on the lake, 2 of us, and it seemed to be smooth ride. But what do I know!!!

Early on in the summer, I went on the boat with a friend who owns a challenger, has the same engine as mine, and he brought to my attention that the boat is little slow getting on plane and will not go over 30-35 mph, even though the RPM is hitting at least 6000. But we thought maybe because the Islandia is heavier than his.
I was told it might be impeller or jet pump issue and took it to a mechanic. He started checking on the engine to make sure that part is working correctly first, and found that we don’t have sparks on all cylinder. At that point we hit another problem, which was starting the boat.
Changed the Spark plugs and all the coils, Protection Module, temperature sensor and trigger but the starting problem did not go away.
Compression is about 120psi

It seemed like, when the boat sits for an hr or so it would start, but if you shut it off and try to start it again, it won’t. You keep trying and the engine floods.

I decided to take it another mechanic, he checked everything and removed the Guardian, but still the same problem. He also found the TPS is not reading correctly.
Finally, he decided to put a lift pump kit in the diaphragm pump and the starting issue went away. He also adjusted the TPS. These two things he did, took away a lot of the smoke problem.
We tested the boat and it was running much better and I was hitting 40mph no problem when riding alone.

Towards the end of the summer, I took a trip to the lake with my family and few others. We had 6 adults and 6 kids
The boat will not go on plane, and max speed was just over 10mph. Even when pushing the throttle all the way up. We got to the small island in the lake, dropped everyone off and went with two of my friends to figure out what it was. We hit 40mph no problem. So it seems that with that many people, the boat just won’t go.

The last trip in the summer we had 3 adults and 5 kids. The boat struggled to hit plane, but we were able to hit about 35mph and got to our destination.
When we wanted to go back, I tried starting the boat but forgot to plug the safety pin. I plugged It back in and tried to start the boat but it just wouldn’t. We had to get towed back.

I want to get an early start on this boat so I don’t waste another summer.
Could the TPS be causing the starting problem? I believe the correct part# is 14851004, but it costs about $1200 Canadian for a new one
Could the jet pump or the casing be causing the speed issue (this boat doesn’t have a wear ring)? Or 120PSI is just not enough?
PS: The engine was rebuilt in 2014
get a new impeller and drain all the fuel and put it in your car. start with non ethanol 90 or 91 FRESH fuel.

Double check the clearance of your wears ring on your jet pump and double check the compression,assure you hold the throttle flat open and the gas tank selector off.

Double check the clearance of your wears ring on your jet pump and double check the compression,assure you hold the throttle flat open and the gas tank selector off.
This boat doesn't have a wear ring. You need to replace the whole housing for the jet pump. That's not a very cheap option

This boat doesn't have a wear ring. You need to replace the whole housing for the jet pump. That's not a very cheap option

Sorry. This drive ABSOLUTELY does have a wear ring. Look at a parts diagram. They are frequently bored out and sleeved with stainless steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back