Battery cable lug replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowhunter8

While replacing the battery on my 90’ SP 580, I broke off one of the sides on the battery cable lug. So instead of it being C shaped to wrap around the battery bolt, it only has one side of the C.

Question: when I replace the lug, do I need to heat shrink around the connection? If so, is it safe to bring an open flame into the engine bay?

I think the proper answer would be not to introduce a flame in the engine compartment where fumes can linger.

But on the flip side, if it was outside and the engine compartment was well ventilated, I would probably do it. But by no means am I reccommeding you try this. Proceed at your own risk. But I would probably put on some eye protection before starting.

Or just buy a heat gun. 20 bucks at harbor freight.

I have also shrank heat shrink tubing with a hair dryer. You could try that first.

I think the proper answer would be not to introduce a flame in the engine compartment where fumes can linger.

But on the flip side, if it was outside and the engine compartment was well ventilated, I would probably do it. But by no means am I reccommeding you try this. Proceed at your own risk. But I would probably put on some eye protection before starting.

Or just buy a heat gun. 20 bucks at harbor freight.

I have also shrank heat shrink tubing with a hair dryer. You could try that first.
Thanks for the info. I’ll give the hair drier a try and if not I’ll pick up a heat gun.

Just curious, with the battery terminal and battery cable terminal lug being exposed, why is there a need to heat shrink the battery cable lug and battery cable connection?

Thanks for the info. I’ll give the hair drier a try and if not I’ll pick up a heat gun.

Just curious, with the battery terminal and battery cable terminal lug being exposed, why is there a need to heat shrink the battery cable lug and battery cable connection?
Because water will get into the copper strands of the cable and rot it out from the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back