RESTO Dual Resto: 1992 SPi and 2001 GTX DI Restoration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone! So, after many days of searching the forum, reading on restorations, and wondering how to go about my two “problems”, I joined the forum. The reason for joining and searching is that I recently acquired two semi-neglected Sea Doos for free. One is a 1992 SPi 580 white engine. The other is a 2001 GTX DI 951. Both have been sitting for an estimated 6 years of time in the very dry New Mexico weather. According to the previous owner, they were winterized then never taken out again for those years. So, of course, I got the bug to restore and have fun. I own a 2007 YZ450 so I’m familiar with typical maintenance but have never done anything other than hard part replacements. But as I used to say, I’m a 4-stroke owner that identifies as a 2-stroke.

So, throughout the past few weeks I’ve done what feels like a crazy amount of research by reading various builds and posts from others in similar situations. I’ve started to see skis that aren’t mine run through my head haha! What I’ve noticed is that for some restorations, there’s a huge amount of information available but there’s not direct path on where to look or how to even start the process of restoration.

Currently, I’ve gathered my list of possible fixes/items to consider for beginning the restoration process. The goal would be to get them running and on the lake by the beginning of October (summer ends pretty late in New Mexico).

1992 SPi 580:

SuperClean Hull inside and out (avoid electronics at all costs)

A lot of oil was in the bottom of this one and smelled of varnish from the old gasoline in the tank. I read somewhere that it could be from bad crank seals? Also read just to run it even if they’re bad?

Drain/Clean Fuel Tank

Drain/Clean Oil Tank

Replace Fuel lines w/ ¼ inch

Fuel Valve replacement (OEM Seadoo)

New Battery (Came without one)

Tie down strap (found p/n: 293850097 but does anyone else have a different recommendation?)

Carburetor Rebuild Kit (Genuine Mikuni rebuild, of course)

Oil Injection Delete to Premix (I did read somewhere on this page to keep the tank to feed the crankcase?)

Spark Plugs (BR7ES?)

Bar Pad! (I cannot find a replacement bar pad anywhere. The foam is still decent but the vinyl cover is melted and disintegrating. Thought of making a high density foam-esque replacement using the old Styrofoam version as a template then covering it with a Blacktip cover, unless someone has a purple replacement in good shape?)

Bar Grips (Old ones are actually melted) (ODI from OSDmarine look like the best fix)

Flush Hose (OSDmarine has a cool one in a rad 90s packaging I dig! It’s the little things)

Storage Cover

Black Tip Seat cover

Hydro-Mat (“Foot Rubbers” as the girlfriend calls them)

Installation w/ weldwood non-gel

New drain plug (the rubber/ locking ones, old one was shredded by the oil on the bottom of the hull)

Jet Pump rebuild

Not too sure on the process of this? All the restos I’ve seen don’t really offer a good tutorial on how to. If someone could maybe direct me to the best way to rebuild it? The impeller looks to be in decent shape and I’ve noticed they’re pretty expensive to replace

Exterior Hull Restoration(Seen various posts of using SuperClean, sandpaper 1000-2000, Marine Compound, and wax. Has anyone tried to use a ceramic coating instead of a normal wax? Or is it pointless since they sit in the water?)

Decals! (For later)

So far that’s it for the ’92!

2001 GTX DI 951

Hood Strut for front Hood (old one is shot, OSD sells one)

Drain/Clean Fuel Tank (Any recommendations for cleaning?)

Drain/Clean Oil Tank (See above.)

Replace Fuel Lines w/ ¼ inch lines

Any additional fuel system parts I should get? Couldn’t find much in terms of what to buy/replace if it’s been sitting in varnish for 6 years

Replace Oil Lines (OSDmarine’s kit looks pretty good?)

Spark Plugs

Battery Tie downs (293850097 from OSD)

Jet Pump rebuild (#3 from OSD? w/ the anti-rattle cone?)

Seat Cover (Dry rotted, Blacktip replacement)

Hydro-mat w/ weldwood install (not too keen on the rivet idea, I’ve seen some people fill the holes with fiberglass resin and razorblade the semi hardened off to avoid sanding?)

Replace boarding ladder foam/rubber wrap (Dry rotted/gross, needs a fix)

Storage Cover

Exterior Hull Restoration

Decals! (For later)

Am I missing anything? I’ve noticed that there’s still much to learn but I’m just overly excited to finally have these in my hands. I have a budget set for about 1k each (2k in total). Although, I know that I shouldn’t skimp on reliable parts even if they cost more. It’s really just a starting point as I don’t want to spend 7k on a new Spark… What do you all think? Any additional advice to give? Thank you so much in advance for taking time to read through this. Just that alone means a ton to a budding hobbyist like me.

Attachments

• 20210911_154236.jpg
    20210911_154236.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210911_154256.jpg
    20210911_154256.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210911_154354.jpg
    20210911_154354.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210911_154400.jpg
    20210911_154400.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210911_154456.jpg
    20210911_154456.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 26
Thanks etemplet! Both have good compression. So they shouldn't need a rebuild. Worse case is they don't work after replacing these parts by October and they get a full rebuild in the winter. Orrrr end up on the classifieds hahah

From my experience I'd do top ends minimum on both skis but that's up to you.
Rebuild the starter which if all else is good replace the brushes and make sure you seal it well.

Fuel tank I just use gasoline but I get every spec of dirt out that I can.
Test the fuel baffle float and level indicator

Do not delete the oil injection system and you can't on the DI anyway.
make sure the oil lines are in good condition and replace them. Might be a good idea to replace them anyway.

Replace the fuel tank filters on the DI. Make sure you get the proper inline filter for the DI if you choose to replace it. That fuel is high pressure and I see people recommend regular type filters. Even the connection needs to be reinforced in m opinion.

Jet pump rebuild? Disassemble the pump, if there is oil in the pump it is likely good. Do a visual inspection of the parts and read the manual. When you remove the shaft I'd replace the oil seal on the end. They get brittle.

To me the cosmetic stufff is way secondary compared to reliability. Good Luck.

From my experience I'd do top ends minimum on both skis but that's up to you.
Rebuild the starter which if all else is good replace the brushes and make sure you seal it well.

Fuel tank I just use gasoline but I get every spec of dirt out that I can.
Test the fuel baffle float and level indicator

Do not delete the oil injection system and you can't on the DI anyway.
make sure the oil lines are in good condition and replace them. Might be a good idea to replace them anyway.

Replace the fuel tank filters on the DI. Make sure you get the proper inline filter for the DI if you choose to replace it. That fuel is high pressure and I see people recommend regular type filters. Even the connection needs to be reinforced in m opinion.

Jet pump rebuild? Disassemble the pump, if there is oil in the pump it is likely good. Do a visual inspection of the parts and read the manual. When you remove the shaft I'd replace the oil seal on the end. They get brittle.

To me the cosmetic stufff is way secondary compared to reliability. Good Luck.
This is perfect! I'll definitely be doing all you've recommended. I agree with the cosmetics as well. I'll post some more to this thread that way we have a fresh restoration on the site.

Speaking mostly about the DI --
If the compression is good, you haven't mentioned if you tried to start.
New Mexico is even drier than my climate in Colorado, so if it was winterized properly, and also using fuel stabilizer and fogging oil, give it a try. You can get a lot of info from the starting attempt. The injectors don't gum quite like carbs, especially with stabilizer. Leave the fuel hoses alone, they are high pressure 5/16" (not 1/4") hoses and not like the old grey lines. You may end up needing a fuel pump. If it doesn't start then you can check fuel pressure (107 psi needed, but may start as low as 90 psi). If you had any water in the jet pump it would be locked up after 6 years, but you were apparently able to do a compression test, so it could be good for now. I would not automatically assume you need full rebuilds or even a top end without more info.

Don’t need to replace the fuel lines on the DI.

Only oil lines that need to be replaced are the little lines from the oil pump to the intake manifold.

As etemplet said don’t get rid of oil injection.

You can buy the OEM grips for $30 on Amazon.

Just run API-TC full synthetic oil in both for ease of use as the DI requires it.

I tried starting them both yesterday as I got a new battery and figured I'd swap it between both skis to see if they'd start. The DI didn't but I was in a rush to get wrapped up. The fuel smells super varnished. Fuel pump doesn't look to difficult and I did noticed those hoses were much bigger. So I'll pump out the old oil and fuel. For the fuel tank I'll kinda try to slosh it around to get the probably sediment that's at the bottom of the take out. The more I look at both, the less I think they'll need.

And I won't get rid of oil injection on the SP. Get some OE grips from Amazon. Save 30 bucks from the odi idea.

Thanks again for all the advice! I'll keep posting.

Update:
Yesterday I drained the fuel and oil tank of the 2001. The fuel siphon tube I used ended up having some pretty gross slime like substance that was almost like peanut butter in terms of texture. Unfortunately there was way too much fuel for my little 4 Gallon VP Jug. I'll have to go dispose the fuel, then I'll drain the 1992 next. I threw some Staybil in the tank to maybe flush it out (I've had it sitting on a shelf for a few months and wasn't going to use it in anything else). I'll put some fresh fuel in when I refill my other 5 gallon I had of course left at home...

I also had put one gallon of XPS Semi Synthetic oil I had bought from a local dealership in the 2001's oil tank. I was surprised to find out how large these tanks are for oil. So I'll have to more than likely pick up another two gallons to just have them.

I've since updated my shopping lists for both Skis:

1992 SPi 580:

Other:

Shop Manual: 1992 SeaDoo SP, XP, GTS, GTX Service/Shop Manual - FREE PDF Download!

Now:

Drain/Clean Fuel Tank

Drain/Clean Oil Tank

Bar Pad! (Find Fix)

Super Clean (Gallon) AutoParts Store

Carburetor Rebuild Kit OSDparts.com (P/N: OSD1288)

Oil/Fuel Lines/Clamps OSDparts.com (P/N :OSD3201 x5, OSD3200 x5, OSD3605, OSD3210 X20, OSD3203 x5, OSD3213 x5)

Hose Clamps 12mm Amazon.com (P/N: B076Q7L1VZ)

Hose Clamps 6mm Amazon.com (P/N: B073X1JMNS)

Replace Fuel lines w/ ¼ inch OSDparts.com (P/N: OSD3205 x3)

Hose Clamps ¼ inch OSDparts.com (P/N: 293650025 x10)

Fuel Valve replacement OSDparts.com (P/N: 275500098)

Fuel Pressure Relief Valve OSDparts.com (P/N: 275500479)

Flush Hose OSDparts.com (P/N: 295500258)

Jet Pump Oil Change Kit OSDparts.com (P/N: OSD2302, 18mm tool, fill plug, o-ring, oil, seal)

Storage Cover Ebay.com (P/N: 111WS104)

Black Tip Seat cover Ebay.com (P/N: 87-93SD-SMP)

Hydro-Turf “Foot Rubbers” ShopSBT.com (P/N: 130BT100)

Installation w/ weldwood non-gel Amazon.com (P/N: CC20 Hydro-turf)

Spark Plugs Amazon.com (BR7ES X2)

New drain plug Amazon.com (P/N: Seachoice 18871)

Grips Amazon.com (P/N: 295500110)

2001 GTX DI 951:

Other:

Shop Manual: 2001 SeaDoo GS, GTS, GTI, GTX, GTX RFI, GTX DI, RX, RX DI, XP Service/Shop Manual - FREE PDF Download!

Now:

Drain/Clean Fuel Tank

Drain/Clean Oil Tank

New Battery AutoParts Store

Hood Strut OSDparts.com (P/N: OSD5850)

Tie down strap OSDparts.com (P/N: 293850097 x3)

Jet Pump Oil Change Kit OSDparts.com (P/N: OSD2312, fill plug, o-ring, oil, pressure tester)

Spark Plugs ShopSBT.com (P/N: ZFR4F-11 x2)

Seat Cover ShopSBT.com (P/N: 108BT105, non-slip front, gray tops, blue backs)

Hydro-turf ShopSBT.com (P/N: HT821, 2-tone diamond, dark gray on black)

Storage Cover ShopSBT.com (P/N: 111WS102)

Boarding ladder foam Amazon.com (P/N: B07FVRT9JS)

Staple Gun Harbor Freight (P/N: 62992)

Stainless Staples Amazon.com (P/N: NailPRO L08SS)

Felling very good about this restoration so far. I've read up more about the 2001 DI's (Don't Invest) and they look like they can have major electrical issues/gremlins that I'm afraid of but these Skis were free. I only have usually 5 hours a week to work on these pigs. I'm just excited and got to remind myself to go slow. If these get done and run good, I can focus on my other projects. One thing at a time!

And two standing problems exist as well... I need a bar pad cover for the 1992 SP
I've seen the zip up ones on eBay but I'm unsure about them as it seems not as durable as the stock plastic/rubber ones. SP Bar Pad Cover

As you can tell, mine is thrashed. Has anyone had experience with those eBay covers?

The next issue is that the trailer the skis are currently living on is an older ('94ish?) Shoreland'r. Its had the frame post replaced and the winch is missing. I haven't been able to locate another similar wench. I'm not sure were to even start looking for another. Can anyone recommend where I might be able to find one?

As always, thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 20210917_133833.jpg
    20210917_133833.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210917_133835.jpg
    20210917_133835.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210917_133840.jpg
    20210917_133840.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210924_162446.jpg