Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoyRider19

Okay So I rode my 1996 Sea doo xp the second week I bought it and It was amazing and worked great besides when I went over huge waves and went 50+ it seemed to be Jumpy. So It died and I replaced the battery and as long as its got gas it wont do this anymore....
But heres the problem. The dang thing sucks soo much gas compared to my spi. And I know its got tons of extra horsepower and a extra Cylinder (I Think...) but It runs and never seems to run out while im running it (it will keep chugging and trying but never quits) and when I turn it off, even for just a sec to swim, It wont start. Even on reserve. When we put gas it in it its fine. BUT no reserve use and it still has a few gallons at the bottom... any clue?

First off both machines have 2 cylinders but without knowing what year the SPI is I can't tell you what the difference in engines are. I can tell you the 96 XP is a 787 and you are right it is a gas hog but that's what you get for performance.

"but It runs and never seems to run out while im running it (it will keep chugging and trying but never quits) and when I turn it off, even for just a sec to swim, It wont start."

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean it diesels ie. you turn off the ignition but it keeps chugging? If that's what you are talking about more than likely carb adjustment issues. Pulling the plugs, checking compression, and looking at fuel delivery will tell you a whole lot about how the engine is running. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Both 96's and there so hard explaining! :D But Ill try again.. when Im out running it on the lake in never dies on me (knock on wood) but if i turn it off to go do something and come back it wont start. and it has a extra custom exaust on it from the prev owner and the engine def has been tinkered with. It isnt a huge deal just was wondering what yall thought!

Ok got cha. Sounds like it just needs some carb adjustment. Make sure the low speed screws are 1- 1 1/4 turns out and the high speed screws (the ones with the small caps) and fully closed. See if that helps but always check your plugs after doing carb adjustments to make sure you're not running too lean. There are great write up on the board about checking plugs, adjusting carbs, and all sorts of things. The search window can be your best friend.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back