1996 seadoo not starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Jakem1

got a seadoo 1996 xp and it was sitting for a year and it won’t start or even crank but passes the screwdriver test so I replaced the starter solenoid, spark plugs, battery, and even used a multimeter for the dess post/ beeper and everything in the fuse box checked out.

(STILL WONT START)

got a seadoo 1996 xp and it was sitting for a year and it won’t start or even crank but passes the screwdriver test so I replaced the starter solenoid, spark plugs, battery, and even used a multimeter for the dess post/ beeper and everything in the fuse box checked out.

(STILL WONT START)
Also the gauges don’t work when I insert the key.

Do the gauges come on for about 30 seconds by just pressing the start button (no key)? If they do then I would recheck the DESS post and its connections to the MPEM and clean up the key and the ring and contact on the post.

there is a small ground that comes out of the box with the solenoid and coil....make sure it is tied on.

Yeah when I replaced the solenoid I checked everything coming from that box and everything checked out.

next steps is to see if you are getting power to the mpem and make sure the dess post and key are working like you said. make sure all your grounds are clean.

just the other day i was working on one of my xps that had been sitting for a bit and had similar symptoms.....(i have three xp projects on the go) and was pulling my hair out for 20 min. looked down and i must have pulled the connector off the stator to test it when i bought the machine and did not put it back on.....plugged it in and bingo it came alive.

next steps is to see if you are getting power to the mpem and make sure the dess post and key are working like you said. make sure all your grounds are clean.
Just checked the dess post and it’s getting connection but still doesn’t work, all grounds are clean.

When you say “still doesn’t work” you mean generally the whole thing? Like , no response? Did you check to see if you are getting power to the mpem? Then, with the dess key on did you check to see if you meter 12v on the small switch line of the solenoid?

If your gauges do not come on just pressing the start key, then check all fuses in the front and rear electrical boxes. Use a schematic and check that power and ground are getting to the MPEM.

If your gauges do not come on just pressing the start key, then check all fuses in the front and rear electrical boxes. Use a schematic and check that power and ground are getting to the MPEM.
If I replace the MPEM do I have to reprogram the key?

there could be corrosion in the fuse holders.....there is an electrical contact cleaner that you could use for that.

Back