99 Sporster 1800 Magneto Diag?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsnid

First timer, I have searched high and low and found several threads with similiar issues, but nothing that matched my exact issue.

The Problem: Port Engine started running very rough and finally quit running. Cranks fine but could not restart. While trying to bring the boat back to dock on one engine, I tried to start the port again while the starboard engine was at 5,000 rpm. It started briefly, surged up and down in RPM and that died within 10 seconds. Has not started at all since that time.

Diag so far: Battery fully charged, spark plugs are good (swapped sides), no spark on port engine. Found no power going to the coil from the magneto. Currently removing the magneto but am stuck on the flywheel pull. Couldn't do it while in the boat was in the water last night, so I'm pulling it out of the water and hopefully with an impact will be able to remove the flywheel.

Here are the questions: What is the best way to remove the flywheel and magneto? I was planning on removing the pump and drive shaft so I can get the engine raised, I already have the magneto cover plate off, but still not sure how to properly get the flywheel off and do I need to mark it for timing? How about the magneto, does it need to be marked for timing? Once I get the magneto off, how do I test it to determine what part of it is bad? Has anyone seen this issue before?

Sorry this is so long, hopefully it saves time for diag. Thank you for any help!

It's a bit if a pain to get off... I hope this helps

1) You need to lock the engine so you can turn the nut on the end of the crank.. I would suggest putting oil in the cylinders to hyro-lock the motor.. You need to get the large nut off the end of the crank shaft..

2) There is a key in the crank shaft that gives the fly wheel it's correct position..

3) You will need a puller to get if off, and heat the the shaft to release the locktite

4)Once you have the puller on and some pressure pulling it off rap the end of the threaded rod on the puller it should then pop off the shaft.. You will need to use heat..

Good luck

Thank you for the quick response and very useful info. I will try that out tomorrow afternoon and respond with hopeful success.

Any thoughts on part 2, magneto diag?

Thanks for your time.

Seasnake,
Did you pull engine completely out to do the new magneto?
Did you replace the entire magneto assembly or just the lighting coil?
Did you purchase the parts from seadoopartsnation.com? I noticed their price on this was about 30% less than my local dealer! Amazing!
Thanks.

Seasnake,
Did you pull engine completely out to do the new magneto?
Did you replace the entire magneto assembly or just the lighting coil?
Did you purchase the parts from seadoopartsnation.com? I noticed their price on this was about 30% less than my local dealer! Amazing!
Thanks.

well i put some scuffs on it when i was taking the fly wheel out. so when i put everything together i had no spark, i kinda knew the coil was bad but tried to start it anyway.

yes i did order through seadoonation but its going to take 7-10 days and you do have to pull the engine out to take this out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back