RESTO 98 spx mod

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Th trim fix works ok really not sure why I had to file down the vts gear but it works well. I guess it won't blow the fuse on the way down, but I think it still might blow on the way up.
Hydro turf install went fine and looks awesome.
The storage bin I cut out for the gas inlet line and about 2 inches off the bottom. The bin is not fastened together or water tight but will hold my drybox and fire extinguisher.
The egts are reading really different temps but I haven't let it run no more than about 20 seconds at a time so far. So we will see what happens when I get it in the water.

Looks sweet! You cornered the market on the 97SPX's, lol.

What's up with the seadoo only on the one side of the hump seat?

Looks sweet! You cornered the market on the 97SPX's, lol.

What's up with the seadoo only on the one side of the hump seat?

Which one? the one on the right of of the hump seat is the road trip ski and the one behind that with the oem cover is a 2002 gti (wife's ski). I brought that one back from the lake to rebuild the carb and put a new seat cover on it. I guess it's a oem seat cover it's glued a has huge cracks in the seat cover and the foam.
IMG_6331.JPG

He means that on the 98 spx, there is only yellow seadoo lettering on the port side of the hump seat. The other side is bare.

He means that on the 98 spx, there is only yellow seadoo lettering on the port side of the hump seat. The other side is bare.

Wow to funny been a little tired lately. That seat came from nick that way and I haven't looked into how to do it to the other side.

I've been fighting a run away idle. Finally turned the idle screw down and it doesn't run away anymore (after tearing it down and pressure testing it) BUT NOW I'm fighting a electrical gremlin. One time it won't turn over but I do here clicking in the gray box. Another time it will turn over but no spark and of course sometimes it will crank and run great. So I'll be going over all the electrical connections just frustrated and thought I would put it out there. I also put a working vts in the ski and it worked great and then didn't. I hit it with a hammer and it started working and not to sure if it's the electrical gremlin or if the housing just went bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a bad ground. Probably the small wire that goes from the battery to the plug on the rear ebox.

Run a new one directly from the battery to the bottom of the coil where they all tie together

If it looks like this one get a new one
137.jpg

A swift, unexpected blow from a hammer lets a failing VTS know you mean business!

Been there many times my friend.

Yes that rear ebox is the issue I'm sure. It will come back with a wire wheel and di-electric grease but that power cable looks like it may have some internal rot. Your VTS may work also once you get clean power to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was it cleaned up the black box and bam all fixed!! When I first looked at the box today it looked fine but once I started cleaning up all the connections I understood why it wouldn't run the grounds especially were dirty as hell. Vts still don't work but I didn't have time to go over those connections yet. Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back