RESTO 98 spx mod

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasonv

I purchased this ski about a week before the last members unite ride in Florida. The motor only had compression on one jug. I pulled everything out of the hull cleaned the fuel tank and oil tank. Decided to buy a mod kit from Matt and had a freshly rebuilt motor on the shelf, so Matt invited me up a few days early before the meet and I helped him put the ski together. Long story short the motor ran to good and before Matt could make it to the meet I had already melted a hole in one of the pistons. I have the motor back from my guy and getting ready to install it now. Here are some before and after pics of the hull and the parts that I'm putting back in it.

IMG_6231.jpgIMG_6233.jpgIMG_6230.jpgthe internet is super slow right now a lot more pics to come. I'm also looking for tips to install my egt koso's

I will be upgrading to a larger fuel tank and removing the oil tank. I'm going to loop the oil line for the rv. Also I am going to find a working vts unit in one of my skis out back. Before I smoked the motor the ski was topping out at 7290 and super fast.
A short list of goodies
Larger fuel tank
Racers sponsons
TNT pipe
Skat trac swirl prop
R and d steering stem
Unit finger throdle
Odi grips
Tiny tach
Koso egt
Rev limiter
97 spx water box
Not sure about the carbs but they came from Matt
New oem raves and raves housings, new o rings bellows and springs
R and d nozzle and outlet

The egt is very easy to do. If you go through my build on my spx I did a step by step with the tap and all that good stuff. One thing I'm very interested in is the bigger fuel tank. How much bigger is it? Lee gave me a very good idea and if you have the front tub that came out of the 94spx with the 3 orange tubed you can fit a 2 gal can in it lol

Matt had one in his carbon fiber x4. Spim also talked about it in the x4 tread back in 2012 maybe late 2011.
I believe the tank is 12 gallon. I bought two kits from nick they come with tank straps and the fuel baffle. Very affordable in my opinion also. You do have to have the engine out according to spim and it also has the spot for the oil tank but I'm just tired of the oil tank. 1 of 500 talked about the rv loop on one of his skis and then I found out Matt does the same thing. The gas tank is out of a 97 gti and a couple other skis that year from what I read.

IMG_6207.JPG

matt had one in his carbon fiber x4. Spim also talked about it in the x4 tread back in 2012 maybe late 2011.
I believe the tank is 12 gallon. I bought two kits from nick they come with tank straps and the fuel baffle. Very affordable in my opinion also. You do have to have the engine out according to spim and it also has the spot for the oil tank but i'm just tired of the oil tank. 1 of 500 talked about the rv loop on one of his skis and then i found out matt does the same thing. The gas tank is out of a 97 gti and a couple other skis that year from what i read.

View attachment 38394

you have me thinking that maybe i should do this...

Damn that's killer! Edit pipe looks badarse!Awesome awesome work!

Last edited by a moderator:
The gas tank is a must for the long rides. I was super impressed with how far matts carbon fiber went with that fuel tank and when we got back that ski still had a half of a tank or so. When I get home this evening I'm going to fix both of the fuel baffles. It's going to be my first time repairing the f1 fuse can't wait to see how that goes.

the extra fuel in the T tank certainly makes a difference.

IMO, if the engine is coming out for ANY reason, then its time to do the tank.

note: plumbing that can be similar to playing that old board game Mousetrap.

I was involved in 3 t-tank conversions and we approached the plumbing a little different all 3 times.

The gas tank is a must for the long rides. I was super impressed with how far matts carbon fiber went with that fuel tank and when we got back that ski still had a half of a tank or so. When I get home this evening I'm going to fix both of the fuel baffles. It's going to be my first time repairing the f1 fuse can't wait to see how that goes.

i did that same ride as you and i only had the stock tank on my spx but i cant even remember how much fuel was left in it...ill check when i get home tonight i never filled it up after that.

Tim post some pix for Jason...he needs help in that aspect.

And I still have a T tank or two...getting short on straps though...lol

Spim in the x4 tread you where talking about a flex marine fuel inlet hose, where did you get that from?

11.jpg

This is my solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back