98 Sea Doo GTI Revs But only does 10 mph

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

boogidyboo

So a while back i sucked up a tow rope towing a Wake Board. After we removed the rope I drove it around and everything worked fine.

A week after that, I was driving it and it was only running on one cylinder.

I found a wire in the electrical box that was broke, so I re attached it and everything was running really good except it would only do about 40-45 MPH in the water versus the 50-55 I use to get.

Than the following week, I took it out again and it was running fine till i started doing 360s and than it would only Rev up but not move very fast Maybe 10 MPH at that most for about 2 min. Than all of a sudden she took off again to the full 40 MPH.

I put it on the trailer and went home, and it had a bunch of water in the hull. also i noticed a hose clamp that goes around the drive shaft was off. I found this hose clamp to hold that rubber boot on.

Is that rubber boot suppose to attach to that slide bearing?

would that cause it to run goofy?

Im so confused?

Do i have a bent drive shaft from the rope?

You could have a bent drive shaft. are you getting vibration when it revs up?

OK... your problem is that the drive shaft seal is messed up. In you ski... its a carbon seal. The boot is corrugated, and acts like a spring... pushing the carbon ring onto a stainless ring. The carbon ring is stationary, and the stainless ring spins with the shaft. If the pressure between those 2 parts drops (from damage, or wear) the pump will suck air though it. And guess what... if you have air in the pump... it's not pushing water.

Rebuild that seal... and you will be fine.

Discovery

Discovery!

I tore it all apart and noticed that the carbon seal was inside the boot, with none of it sticking out. But in the manual, it shows that the higher "wider" part is suppose to stick out of boot, and the boot should clamp to the lower "narrower" part.

Would that fix it?

I also pulled the drive shaft out and I think the part that sticks into the motor might be bent a little bit. I will take it to the shop and see what they say!

measure the driveshaft, and post back the length. I've got an extra/perfect condition driveshaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back