97 XP, Couple of Quick Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shanebell618

Going through some pre-season maintenance and had a couple of quick questions:

1. Greasing the "drive shaft" (rear of the ski under latch cover). I understand this is a zerk fitting.
Could anyone point me to a cheap grease gun kit that would have the right size fitting I will need?
Or just tell me which size fitting I should look for at harbor freight, etc.
Also, are there any other fittings on this ski that I will need to grease?

2. I am going to be replacing the inline oil filter.
I have read on the forums about clamping the lines above/below the filter, changing filter, letting oil run through new filter, and re-connecting.
Is this a safe method to avoid air in the lines? If not, how would I proceed without getting any air bubbles. (I would prefer to not drain the whole system if possible.)

Thanks

Also, a big thank you to mikidymac for his "Seadoo Carb Rebuild Thread". As a first timer, I was able to successfully do a complete rebuild on my carbs and everything went great.

1. Any of the grease guns from harbor freight should come with the correct fitting for the zerk on the PTO. Most grease fittings in automotive/marine applications use the same size nipple on the grease gun side.

2. Once you replace the oil filter, you can open the bleed screw on the pump and let it drain until you get all of the air out. Make sure you are running the correct API-TC synthetic oil though. If not, go ahead and flush it all now...

Also only put grease in until the driveshaft stops moving towards the pump then immediately stop. Typically only 2 pumps or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back