Rebuilt carb / hydrolock 97 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

peril99

Long story really short - had a friend that stalled the jet ski, hydrolocked it towing it back in (didn't realize) - decided to rebuild the carb before I started everything back up - I had misdiagnosed the hydrolock. (rookie mistake)

So - finished rebuilding the carb, new starter, figured out the hydrolock, and got it started back up.

Current state - hydrolock beaten (but oil not changed yet), new carbs on (but no air box) (i..e - no airbox manifold, no filter, no cover)

next steps

1) drain / replace oil
2) tighten carbs to torque specs
3) install airbox
4) Sus ride

question for the more experienced - when I have the airbox off and pull the throttle I notice a bog and it's bad enough to stall - is it possible the carb is getting too much air without the airbox on - or should it run fine as is right now?

Thanks for your feedback,

-Adrian

It needs the airbox on.
You really need to go ride it ASAP. The longer it sits with moisture the better the chances you are going to ruin the crank bearings.

I intend to take it out later today - just gonna put it all together now. Waiting for my 918 from amazon for the bottom of the airbox cover! Let's GOOOOOO

Last edited:
When I pulled the oil out - shouldn't I see the water in it from the crank - I flush all of it out and then about a 2 cups of new xps synthetic until it was coming thru clear. I'll look at it really closely tommorow - I've been turning it over every say - and I had it running a couple of time- doing the sus ride tommorow morning.

got it on the lake - runs identically to before - the only thing I noticed during the rebuild was some grit in the pto carb filter, but fill good knowing it's clean now. just need to run it until it dies ;)

I did have one wierd thing happen - the throttle cable went slack - full open when pulled the airbox- I noticed the mag side spring isn't working - I pulled the carb linkage and was able to tell right away - do these spring ever give up or slip? and any ideas on where to get one? 270500097

just took the nut off of the throttle cable side and wiggled it out and, cleaned up a spring good and put it back on - that carb throttle shafts had more resistance than I expected - lubed it up as best I could and wiggled it's a bunch and then put it back together. All better.

OH man - that was the ticket - throttle response is instant now - I'm not sure if there is a downside to making the spring tight - but it goes up / down quick.

Back