97 sportster engine/storage cover ideas

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarsjm

posted this somewhere else, so will try it here... our little sportster has the engine compartment/storage panel/cover missing (along with the darn stern pole-light...figures). so... knowing they are both available, the cover for over 3 bills (YIKES), if you can get it... i came up with the ideas of: making a template from a sheet of carboard along with the 'lip' that would have been part of the oem piece, then take this template, and using either a sheet of marine plywood or thick lexan/plexi, cut one out and for the 'lip' i was thinking of some stainless hinges, make another template for the lip, cut out, mount with hings and voila.... hundreds saved.. is that feasable or doable?? has anyone done something similar? any ideas where to get the stern light? any after market brand? thanks!!

The stern light is easy. It's NOT a seadoo part. Just go to your local boat shop, and buy a plug in light. The OEM was either Perko, or SeaSense. But either way... it was a universal part.

As far as the cover... make it out of plywood, and coat it in marine resin. (to make it waterproof) Then you can paint it, and you will never tell the difference. If you are talking about the entire deck lid... that's up to you on how to make it... but a big flat hunk of wood, isn't going to look good. I would look into "Mold-less fiberglass design" and make a new lid starting with Styrofoam. (you can find a book about it, that was put out by Burt Rutan)

don't know what it would look like on your boat but teak might be an option

Last edited by a moderator:
There was another member who made one...ill try to dig up who it was and see if i can steer you in his direction for help.

There was another member who made one...ill try to dig up who it was and see if i can steer you in his direction for help.

excellent.. remember, am referring to the INNER like cover that acts like the bottom of a trunk... NOT the BIG topside latched lid... hope u find it!!

I just searched here and tried a google search. No luck....not sure why. I know the thread is here because i posted pictures in it. Your boat is different, so im guessing the whole cover is different...but just for reference here are pics of what mine looks like. I bet it is the same principle, just different size.

21.jpg

20.jpg

Yeah i saw that after i posted i went and looked at the parts diagram. Actually looks like a fairly easy piece to fabricate.

hey i happen to have a spare 1996 speedster. I think it will fit your boat.i don't mind parting this one out. if you want a factory cover with the light attached, i'll et them go for $150. Let me know if you ned it still. You can e-mail me at tedup@bellsouth.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back