New engine compartment latch cover install

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmortonca

Hi all,

Hoping someone can give me a tip on re-installing the engine compartment/sundeck latch on my 2005 Seadoo Sportster. Hit a wave and the back cover flew open and broke the latch cover. I ordered the parts and attempted to reinstall only to have the cover completely stuck. I had to use a thin crowbar to crack the latch cover again and of course order another part. So, I am not sure what I did wrong the first time. The latch opener (from under the steering wheel storage) would just not open the back cover.

Does anyone have any experience with these? The cable seems to be ok and pulls 1/2 inch back.

See pictures attached for context.

Attachments

• 2018-08-12_11-30-33.jpg
    2018-08-12_11-30-33.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 24
I am considering removing my latch lock all together. The cable setup is plain nuts. And, lifting the cover on my Islandia is a 2 hand-job (or so my wife says :p). And, I'm not worried about someone trying to break into my engine bay.

Has anyone else here just removed the locking piece?

We only bought our 2003 Islandia this July and the engine latch was broken. It was obvious someone had had to pry it open at some point as the gelboat on the hatch down near the swim platform has some minor damage. Had to replace the gas struts that hold the hatch in place and got tired of having to pull the hatch pin past the damaged latch so I did remove the whole thing altogether. Pulled out the cable, removed all but the pin on the hatch. What purpose does it serve? I've yet had it come up during use and I don't think it's any sort of theft deterrent. Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back