'97 Speedster - New to me/Project Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian J

Sorry for the long post, you can skip right to the pictures and read – just bought this boat.

Yesterday I left for work not knowing I’d come home that night with a jet boat. I happened across a guy trying to sell his “good condition” 97 speedster with lift and trailer for $2k. It sounded like a smoking deal until I found out the lift was steel and the MPEM was toasted from a failed jump start last fall (which also meant it needs a battery). After some quick research on MPEM prices (6-$800) and talking to the owner about not including the lift the deal died. Seller was adamant that the lift had to go with it. So I hung up the phone thinking - close but no cigar.
An hour or two later he calls me and says he found a buyer for the lift, had a new battery for it and would sell it to me for $1,500 but that was his bottom line as he had a local dealer that was coming out if I didn’t. I text Nick at west side power sports (Minnetonka4Me) about the MPEM and he had one in stock. Out the door I went as the boat was only 20 minutes away from me.
When I got to the guys house the boat was in his heated garage, he had all the accessories for it including a factory cover. It was a very small lake so I’m thinking the hours are pretty low. Stored indoors in winter, unfortunately outdoors in the summer. The bad news is the lift was not covered and the seats show it, they might clean up a little. Also the hull is sun faded but nothing some wet sanding and buffing won’t take out (and that’s what wives are for). Two things that amaze me are the condition of the hull, no cracks or scratches, and the condition of the trailer. The guy must have stored the trailer indoors 365 days a year.
After his story checking out, the impellers looking good, all the previous maintenance done by the dealer, and compression 120-125 in all 4 cylinders (my gauge is not accurate) I didn’t even bother with trying to knuckle him down on price and paid him the full $1,500. Now it’s off to Nick’s shop for the computer that will HOPEFULLY get this thing started.
I pulled up at Nick’s shop at about 7pm and he jumped right in testing and removing the old MPEM. I had my fingers crossed it would be something simple but no such luck, the MPEM was fried. Less than an hour later Nick had a new one installed, reprogrammed my old key as a spare, and replaced the beeper. Now the moment I’ve been waiting for, will it start. I said we got a 1/5 chance both these engine fire and work well, Nick said “there’s absolutely no reason why they won’t run”. He hits the starboard engine and it fires up and revs great. Hits the port engine and it fires up and runs great. That’s what I’m talking about right there. He then gave the whole boat a once over and pointed out a couple other small things I have to button up. Total charge for parts and labor $750 which I think is worth every penny given the price and rarity of those MPEMs. Plus he did all this for me on the spot at 7 o’clock at night. Thanks again Nick.
So I’m in to this thing for $2,251.59 ($1.59 tail light bulb at a gas station). Right now I have two jet skis, an 18.5’ fishing boat and this in my garage. Once summer hits and I get these all cleaned up I’ll be having a sell-a-thon. Tonight I’ll be water testing it, and then it’s on to cleaning and buffing. I’ll post back with updates.

Attachments

• Speedster1.jpg
    Speedster1.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Speedster2.jpg
    Speedster2.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 64
  • Speedster3.jpg
    Speedster3.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 53
Congrats on the new toy.

The compression is a little low... and I would re-check it after you give it a run. Those engines should be closer to 150 PSI. So... if they are truly below 130... I would do a top-end before they melt, and take out a good crank.

You should have had Nick re-check it for you while he was under the hood.

Brian, nice pick up on the boat and parts.
I envy the guys who live close to Tony, Nick, Jess and the other experts here on the forum.

I think you are stretching the term "project" on this boat. Looks like you picked up a nearly turn-key toy for a song. Congrats!

I think you are stretching the term "project" on this boat. Looks like you picked up a nearly turn-key toy for a song. Congrats!

HA! Thanks. Compared to some of the projects you guys have done yes this is minor league.

The first water test was last night and surprised and happy to say it went almost perfect. No cavitation issues, both motors ran great, bilge works, blower works, speedo works and you won't believe this but the fuel gauge works. Thank you previous owner for being that guy that always took it to the dealer and just went along with what ever they said to fix.

This was my first time driving a jet boat and they are a lot of fun, defiantly the most maneuverable boat I've ever driven. Although I had the wife and kids with me for most of the test drive so I couldn't really hammer on it.

The couple small issues I have to fix are:
the scupper valve (I already knew that was bad thanks to Nick spotting it)
at idle when I crank the wheel all the way to the left the engine revs (should be an easy issue of re-routing some cables)
shifting to forward is a little hard, not as easy as going to reverse so I'll try to free that up while I'm in there
Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning.....I started wet sanding last night (and by started I mean snuck out into the garage for 20 minutes while my kids watched a cartoon). My plan is to wet sand the whole top side, then polish and wax. Clean the hood and then the seats are what's going to kill me....I've read up on those black mildew stains and am going to a boat store to get some cleaner but I'll probably end up having to replace them. How long does it take to do a upholstery swap in these and which kit would you guys recommend, I saw one on ebay for $320.

Another question I have for you guys is at cruising speed with the two sticks at the same position the two tachs are about 500 rpms apart, is that an issue with the tachs, the throttle cable adjustment or is that normal and nothing to worry about?? If I was going to make a long run I would probably ignore both the tach and sticks and just work the throttles until the boat ran straight.

Check out the custom flame duct tape cup holder delete the PO did.
Speedster4.jpg

Sounds like a good deal. Thumbs up for Nick taking care of you ...Cant beat that type service. As far as the engine revving when you turn the wheel, thats normal. Its there to aid in docking the boat. It should do it when you turn both ways.

Get your seat covers from Keith as seadooupholstery.com You cant beat his covers.

As far as the engine revving when you turn the wheel, thats normal. Its there to aid in docking the boat. It should do it when you turn both ways.
Wait... what?
I'm new to jet boats, so I'm not challenging this statement... just saying that I don't think I understand. I mean, why would the driver want the engine to change RPM when turning the wheel instead of when moving the throttle?

Get your seat covers from Keith as seadooupholstery.com You cant beat his covers.
I'll be ordering from Keith at some point. I got BlackTip traction mats from him and he was helpful before the sale and after when STB left one of the mats out of the box. Good guy.

shifting to forward is a little hard, not as easy as going to reverse so I'll try to free that up while I'm in there
Again, I'm new and inexperienced, so take this as such, but I was surprised that on my Challenger I can't shift into Forward unless the throttle is ALL the way aft (at idle). It must be slightly out of adjustment, as I have to pull the throttle handle back slightly past it's natural stop to "unlock" forward. Oh... that reminds me... I meant to look that up in the operator's manual to see if that is a design feature or maybe a sign that something is amiss with my controls.

Check out the custom flame duct tape cup holder delete the PO did.
View attachment 18858
Classy. :rofl:

Again, I'm new and inexperienced, so take this as such, but I was surprised that on my Challenger I can't shift into Forward unless the throttle is ALL the way aft (at idle). It must be slightly out of adjustment, as I have to pull the throttle handle back slightly past it's natural stop to "unlock" forward. Oh... that reminds me... I meant to look that up in the operator's manual to see if that is a design feature or maybe a sign that something is amiss with my controls.

Classy. :rofl:

The throttle(s) need to be in the idle position to move shifter from neutral to forward, and neutral to reverse.
If the throttle is moved forward you can not engage forward or reverse. Also if you apply to much throttle while in neutral you should hit the limiter at around 3500 rpm.

steering assist: I deleted the steering assist on mine. The PO had the whole shebang screwed up and out of adjustment at the sticks.
I don`t need the engines to rev to 2500-2800 while turning lock to lock. I simple use the sticks to control the boat...lol

I'm happy to report the wet sanding is done, it's already looking better with just that. Now I'm going to go over the whole thing with Meguires medium cut cleaner, then a cleaner wax, then the final coat of wax. My wife has made some really good progress on the black mildew stains on the seats. Then I'll probably get it out on the water again tomorrow afternoon, this time without my wife so I can actually hammer on it. Once I get the cleaning done I'll post the after pictures, hopefully tomorrow.

To anyone else who's looking at doing something like this I will say the cleaning products and small items add up fast. When I bought it I thought OK, I have to clean it, no big deal......and it's not really but I'm easily in for over $100 on specialty cleaning products, wax polish etc...

Wait... what?
I'm new to jet boats, so I'm not challenging this statement... just saying that I don't think I understand. I mean, why would the driver want the engine to change RPM when turning the wheel instead of when moving the throttle?

I know... I think it's dumb too. But, the thought is... when you crank the wheel all the way... and you are still drifting forward... it will give you a blast of thrust, so you actually have directional control. (or control quicker) The reason for it is... since you don't have a rudder hanging down... and most people are going to migrate from an I/O or outboard... they are used to having some directional control even at idle.

When you crank the wheel of a jet boat... at idle... it will go straight, and then start to give a lazy turn. Eventually... you will get use to it. And... unlike a prop... you turn the same direction regardless of forward and reverse. So... you can use the direction, and throttle to stop dead, and rotate into your parking spot. WAY more maneuverable that a prop. (with practice)

FYI... like PaleRider... I disconnected it in the Islandia. I also took off the throttle guardian. (but that one is a Merc only part) But, I hate anything that's automatic. I would rather just give the throttle a nudge if I need to.

*****EDIT*****

I know this is a Yamaha vid... but it's the best explanation on jet boat control I've seen.

[video=youtube_share;8-hjX9V8oAQ]http://youtu.be/8-hjX9V8oAQ[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
After a late night in the garage last night most of the cleaning is done. Here are some before and after pics.

Attachments

• Speedster5.jpg
    Speedster5.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Speedster6.jpg
    Speedster6.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Speedster7.jpg
    Speedster7.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Speedster4.jpg
    Speedster4.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great. its amazing how well boats clean up with a little rubbing. Throw some hydroturf on it and it will look even better.

What process did you use to refurb the yellow plastic and to clean up the seats?

Hood: Clorox soft scrub with bleach on steel wool. Then I cleaned that off with Superclean and paper towels making sure to get all the soft scrub off, then I removed the cleaner with a spray bottle of water and more paper towels (the surface has to be clean for the next step). Then I use "Wipe It as seen on TV". I can't take credit for the wipe, that was Nike who turned me on to it.

Seats: Starbrite Mildew remover. Let it soak for a long time to work.

The seats did not come completely clean and I do have a small rip in one. If I did want to invest the time and money into a new upholstery kit and hydro turf this boat would be like new. But I think I'm going to sell it as it is, I have too many skis and boats in my garage right now.

I took it out yesterday for about 3 hours, had a blast, love those high speed power turns, it's like being on a roller coaster.

Well the story ends here, I put an ad up on craigslist for this yesterday and down the road it went. I'd defiantly buy another one of these, lots of fun to drive although my wife isn't a big fan of them - "there's no windshield"

Wow! That was a quick flip. Hope you made some $ on it. It is always great when you can enjoy something cool for a bit and then pass it on and make a few bucks. :)

1 Week...Thats it? What was so bad you didnt wanna keep it? The no windshiled thing you get use to.

1 Week...Thats it? What was so bad you didnt wanna keep it? The no windshiled thing you get use to.

This one was destine to be a flip from the beginning, although I didn't think everything would go so smoothly that I'd have it gone in a week, I was shooting for memorial day weekend. The boat was near prefect (except for that rip in the seat) and a blast to drive, I would have loved to keep it but didn't want to store it. Now I'm looking at an islander, I might sell my fishing boat if I get that....uhg the life of a flipper....

Just an update on where I'm at with all this, that islandia was a bust (thread in the mercury section about that) Plus I didn't like the look and size of it. Now I'm looking at a Yamaha sx230 (sorry - yamaha in a seadoo forum HA!)

Just an update on where I'm at with all this, that islandia was a bust (thread in the mercury section about that) Plus I didn't like the look and size of it. Now I'm looking at a Yamaha sx230 (sorry - yamaha in a seadoo forum HA!)
truth be told, Yamaha 2 stokes and 4 strokes hands down are way more reliable than SeaDoo...

come on people relax, the reason we are here is to share our issues and work and discover better ways to keep our boats running. Although the seadoo boats don`t seem to puke the SC clutches as frequently as the ski`s (for quite a few good reasons) ...
, just my opinion that`s all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back