96xp 782 cranks doesn't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
you don't need a test light, you can use a voltmeter. all you are doing is seeing if the coil is getting signal voltage every 180 turn of the crank. white wire on coil.

I'm going to get involved here again, you really don't want to take the mag. cover off unless you really need to. I've had mine off and it's not easy, gonna take you 2-3 hours, and some special equipment. If I were you I would make sure it's the mag. pickup before you go to all this work. Post 40 outlines very well how to test the pickup. Both PPE and ski-d00 know what they are talking about, if I were you I would heed their advise.

Lou

I'm going to get involved here again, you really don't want to take the mag. cover off unless you really need to. I've had mine off and it's not easy, gonna take you 2-3 hours, and some special equipment. If I were you I would make sure it's the mag. pickup before you go to all this work. Post 40 outlines very well how to test the pickup. Both PPE and ski-d00 know what they are talking about, if I were you I would heed their advise.

Lou

I know they are awsome guys...problem is it is at a diffrent location than were I am most of my days!!! Sorry for all the procrastination...Hey I like the voltmeter idea, do i just put red on white wire and black on ground i guess???? What sort of v's should i be getting...I havent done the coil test because I havent been able to go grab a test light, but i will try the multi meter way...and yes I fully agree on you about pulling the cover off...looks like a PITA!!!!! :)

OK tested it with a voltmeter with red stuck in the white wire and black on ground, getting a constant voltage of anywhere from 16v to near 20 volts when cranking.....this means my coil is bad from what i heard, because the mag is doing what it is supposed to do???? Think im just going to grab one from minnetonka.....Thanks for everyones help, will check back once i get the coil on....

OK tested it with a voltmeter with red stuck in the white wire and black on ground, getting a constant voltage of anywhere from 16v to near 20 volts when cranking.....this means my coil is bad from what i heard, because the mag is doing what it is supposed to do???? Think im just going to grab one from minnetonka.....Thanks for everyones help, will check back once i get the coil on....

I got the new coil, put it on and put the boots back on.......then once again, would not spark, i tried cranking it with them in, and manually looking for spark with it grounded, nothing, so i thought it was my white and black wire mixed up, still no spark.....if it has voltage all the way up to the coil, and i replaced the coil, why isnt it sparking??? I also tried putting a red test probe in the spark boot and grounded it to look for voltage...nothing, not sure if ur supposed to do that though... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :cuss:

Just got it, popped it on, NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :rant: :cuss:
If i have 14-20v coming from the engine via (white wire to coil), my grounds seem to be all good, have gone through two coils, what else could be wrong, im still not seeing spark!!!
And now nobody seems to be replying to the forum!!

Just got it, popped it on, NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :rant: :cuss:
If i have 14-20v coming from the engine via (white wire to coil), my grounds seem to be all good, have gone through two coils, what else could be wrong, im still not seeing spark!!!
And now nobody seems to be replying to the forum!!
You should ohm out the spark plug wires first to make sure they are in within spec. You can also get a spark tester that plugs inbetween the wire and spark plug to check for spark.

Both coils between the two post where the white clicks I get 0.9 ohms...ran new grounds to ebox...I think I may actually be getting spark but mabey my plugs or boot isn't put in right....also I test by touching threaded part of plug on bolt that holds the exhaust on...

head out and invest 3 bucks in a cheep spark tester that goes between the boot and the plug.

Done...still no spark, i thnk i found the problem though, decided to do a bit of investigating with a multi meter with red always on battery red, and then seeing where i could get ground, turns out i could almost everywhere on my new coil but one of the black wires was giving 8 volts instead of 12 everywhere else, figured it was bad/corroded weakening the voltage, need to replace tommorow, but i think i have the culprit... :hurray:

sound right???

Been following for a while now. Have a question now.1) after it died on the water what did you do with it did it just sit for a while. 2) you said you may have mixed up the lines when replacing them right......... when did you replace them before or after it died and if you did it after it died and now it wont start then there might be part of your problem. As for not seeing spark you need to do what these guys are telling you and buy a spark tester. Please explaina little more what exactly you did with the lines. Also pull the white wire off the coil and attatch another test wire to it and touch it to one of the bolts on the exhaust and see if it ARCS if it does then you coil is junk

1)It was 50ft off shore and my brother (who was riding it) hopped off and walked it in...after we got it back there was only like an inch of water in the back which we drained, and it never had been flipped so the rest was dry...
2)No i confirmed fuel lines are correct...we had to replace the starter to get it to crank and the ground, then when it wouldnt start we thought bad fuel lines, so we changed that...then came the no spark problem!!!
3)Yes i know...advanced auto and sears both were out of stock...

you mean pop a test wire on it and hold it just a tiny bit above a bolt thats grounded???
Another odd thing is when i have my multi meter hooked to the white wire when i put the dess key on it shows up like 14v WITHOUT cranking, then slowly starts going down, then goes back up to like 14-18v while cranking.....

ok so then back up to when it died off shore. You replaced the starter to get it to crank right...... ok a starter wont make it die so that was never the problem somewhere something is getting lost in the communication process and we are only trying to help i know its frustrating i had a similar problem on my 787 turned out it was the ignition coil.............i figured that out by pulling off the white wire on the coil and splicing another wire to it and touching it to a grounded bolt and seing if it made a tiny arc.... BTW mine would not lite up a spark tester either....... We need to figure out what made it die in the first place....... when you crank it over with the plugs in and the pplug boots on.......then take out the plugs are they wet and smell like fuel or are they dry

My brother says he can't really remember but he didn't think it ran out of gas, he said it started to chugg, then the VTS stopped working (blown fuse in back) then is stalled...This is as accurate as i can get....it was last year so his memory is a bit foggy!!! We have already got two diffrent ig. coils from minnetonka, both not solving the problem, so i dont really think it is that...i will go today and do the white wire test...
Yes, sorry to be so confusing, i guess i will let the truth out....im only 15....hope that helps u understand why i couldnt just run out and get parts, testers, ect....!!!!! But really really really, i TRULY appreciate EVERYONES help!!!

Wait a second vts is blowing fuses!!?? Take the vts fuse out and might solve the issue.

Which one is that??? The one at the top of the ebox, like near the harness, or farther toward the bottom of it...or is the fuse in the front because the one that blew is in the back...we found it blown after we brought it in when it stalled...

EDIT!!! Also tried attaching a wire from the white one on the coil and it never arced while cranking to the ground bolt...i was holding it like a 1/8th inch away from the bolt...

ok so then back up to when it died off shore. You replaced the starter to get it to crank right...... ok a starter wont make it die so that was never the problem somewhere something is getting lost in the communication process and we are only trying to help i know its frustrating i had a similar problem on my 787 turned out it was the ignition coil.............i figured that out by pulling off the white wire on the coil and splicing another wire to it and touching it to a grounded bolt and seing if it made a tiny arc.... BTW mine would not lite up a spark tester either....... We need to figure out what made it die in the first place....... when you crank it over with the plugs in and the pplug boots on.......then take out the plugs are they wet and smell like fuel or are they dry

They are wet with fuel and smelt like it...i wiped clean and tried again and same thing, so there is fuel getting there...the arc test didnt work, couldnt get spark when holding it like 1/8th inch away from ground bolt...

Wait a second vts is blowing fuses!!?? Take the vts fuse out and might solve the issue.

That would be something after 70 plus posts. Just unplug the power to the VTS, there's a two conductor plug with a red and a black wire right above the battery, just unplug it.

Lou

That would be something after 70 plus posts. Just unplug the power to the VTS, there's a two conductor plug with a red and a black wire right above the battery, just unplug it.

Lou

Just tried, but didn't see spark, and wouldnt start with premix...was hoping for a quick fix...oh well!!!

Were do I go from here?
Could it still be the stator or pickup? I'm thinking it may be that because the arc test with the white wire didn't work...

Last edited by a moderator:
Any ideas???
Should I go ahead and take the mag housing off??? Don't, want to get into that until I am 100% sure its that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back