96 XP Top Speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrisp

Does this seem about right for my XP, 58 mph? I finally had a chance to run it on a relatively smooth lake tonight. I did hit a wave from a huge boat though, scared the crap outta me!! The two other guys who were out there, said that I cleared about 5 feet above the wave when I hit it. I've never jumped that high before, but it landed nice and smooth on the far side of another big wave, so it was fun. :thumbsup:

XP Speed.jpg

Yea buddy
112.jpg

That sound about right for ideal conditions, smooth water, wind at your back downhill. Actually that's great, whatever you did leave it alone. Actually I've never checked mine with a GPS, but the speedo shows about 57-58, so it's probably 2-3 miles slower.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
I was stretched out on the flattest water I've ever seen and it was earlier in the morning with cool weather. I usually see 55-56 on the gps in normal conditions

I'm giving these iridium plugs a try out. I swear it feels to run smoother, idle better, and the throttle response is spot on!
It could just be in my head but idk... I like it though lol
142.jpg
143.jpg

I'm giving these iridium plugs a try out. I swear it feels to run smoother, idle better, and the throttle response is spot on!
It could just be in my head but idk... I like it though lol
142.jpg
143.jpg

So how did they work out??? What is the NGK part number???

BR8EIX, my 96GSX had a set of these when I bought it, I really can't say I noticed any difference in performance, but I do think the plugs last longer. I usually change the spark plugs every season, I believe you could get two seasons out of these, which makes the extra cost a wash. I may try another set myself.

I think I have one of these under the motor somewhere, it never came out. :blush:

Lou

Not sure what the iridium does. Perhaps keeps it from wearing. We used to use the BR8EV plugs in race FL350 Honda Odyssey (stadium superlite) motors. It seemed to keep the spark more consistent and kept them from fouling because it fires from the same point each time. In those days, we changed them all the time though. NGK reps were in the pit area handing them out...

That's really impressive for stock. How much do you weigh and what was the air temp?

I weigh 165lbs. My machine has 145 compression on both cyls, fresh carbs, fresh raves, all stock except for R&D nozzles and removed intake grate. GPS at 58.7 MPH yesterday around 80* on smooth water. You could say I'm happy with that!

Busted this out today on smooth but not glass water
210lbs rider
Stock 96' XP rebuilt carbs 1 turn out lows and closed highs.
Raves are leaking oil down sides of block.... :-(

Rob

image.jpg

My xp is stock except with a top loader intake grate that usually shaves 1-2 mph off the top though

I have a JD #16 (extra deep) and it does 54-55 with the grate and 58.7 without. I can't believe how much better the holeshot is without it, but it really makes a world of difference in rough water.

I have a stock everything 97 XP and it clocks 57.5 on GPS. On cool days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a JD #16 (extra deep) and it does 54-55 with the grate and 58.7 without. I can't believe how much better the holeshot is without it, but it really makes a world of difference in rough water.

the end of that post says it all, a scoop grate makes all the difference in chop. impellers can help recover some of the loss of the grate. the jd 16 is a wonderful grate for heavy chop and jumping tho. worx and r&d grates are good all around. they only shave about 1.5 mph off and still funnel pretty well. if you want even more without touching the motor, widen your pump tunnel and get a magnum pump.

182.jpg

57.6 at 6780 rpm. Stock except Solas X0 and R&D 85/87 nozzles, 3 degree trim tabs.

To everyone who is going faster than me, I am pretty sure your phone is rounding up!

;)

182.jpg

57.6 at 6780 rpm. Stock except Solas X0 and R&D 85/87 nozzles, 3 degree trim tabs.

To everyone who is going faster than me, I am pretty sure your phone is rounding up!

;)

The trim tabs aren't helping with top speed. How much do you weigh? What was ambient air temp? Engine compression? Just curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back