96 xp starter stuck engaged?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

project_seadoo

so ive canned my 93 gtx project, overal it was going to cost to much to fix
and picked up a 96 xp in much better condition got it for 800 on a galv trailer, over here in austraila this models still going for 3-4k!!!
anyway i brought mine off a bloke who had not used it in a few years and he was unsure if it would still run
so i brought it home cleaned out the carbs and she fired up but running a real high idle, but im not to worried about that at the moment as carbs will be going in for a rebuild

what my problem is in my starter sometime gets stuck on the "fly wheel" i guess youd call it in the engine and siezes the motor up, untill i remove the starter and reinstall it the it will crank fine till it gets stuck again?
this is the second starter its doing it to and it all so sounds like the starter is staying engaged whenn the motors running (loud buzzing/humming sound)

the first starter sharft and drive gear (whole piece coming out the front of the stater) completly snaped off!!

any ideas on what would be causeing this?
thank you

just done a compression test and got 160 psi on both cylinders throttle wide open
also has a worx intake and nujet destroyer SD-A6.0 impeller
also doesnt have the best spark, only orange not blue have cleaned up all conections ect whats next?

im also not getting any spark now, have cleaned all grounds little black wire in on, no blown fuses apart from vts witch ill sort out later
trimed back the spark plug leads any ideas? cheers

On the 800 engine... there is a pick-up coil. It could just have metal filings on it. (from the stuck starter) OR... since it sounds like it's probably has some corrosion... check the grounds in the rear electrical box.

The broken starter is normal if it's an aftermarket starter. all the "Import" starters SUCK !!!!!!!! We have yet to find an aftermarket seadoo starter that was worth a dam, and they normally don't live past one season. (Some die after the first start)

OK... since you are having starter, and ignition issues... I would start by removing the MAG cover, and get a look inside. Make sure your pick-up coil is clean, and not damaged. AND... make sure the ring gear on the flywheel isn't damaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 800 engine... there is a pick-up coil. It could just have metal filings on it. (from the stuck starter) OR... since it sounds like it's probably has some corrosion... check the grounds in the rear electrical box.

The broken starter is normal if it's an aftermarket starter. all the "Import" starters SUCK !!!!!!!! We have yet to find an aftermarket seadoo starter that was worth a dam, and they normally don't live past one season. (Some die after the first start)

OK... since you are having starter, and ignition issues... I would start by removing the MAG cover, and get a look inside. Make sure your pick-up coil is clean, and not damaged. AND... make sure the ring gear on the flywheel isn't damaged.

thanks mate have reaplaced the starter with a spare stock one i had and it seems a lot better then the old "high torque" one thats snaped
have checked all grounds and removed then and gone over with sand paper and reinstalled to rule out that possibalty

i thought id have to remove the mag cover and check out the inside, since ill be removing a engine mount and rasing the engine a little will this put the engine and jet unit out of alignment ? or fit i mark shims ect and put back together the same way will it be ok?
thanks mate appreciate the help

Last edited by a moderator:
If you lift the engine off it's mounts... make sure you mark, and replace the shims. If you do... your alignment will be fine. (assuming it's good now)

On the back engine mount, just remove the screw that goes thru, don't remove the ones from the hull. And the front do the same. You should be able to get the alignment back into the same position. If you have to remove the front mount all together use a marker to mark the location of the mount so that it won't be forward or backwards when you put it back in. You should have no problems with alignment.

thanks for the help so far guys got the mag cover off today, what a fun job that was!
and sure enough it was a broken pick up, ive heard this is a common problem with the 96 787 is there a better pick up unit avaible to stop this happening again?
cheers

while i was at the ski today i also cleaned the rave valves, that were pretty dirty but not to bad. anything else i can do to the ski to make it run smooth and be reliable?
priced up new fuel line today 1/4 is $8.90 a meter and im thinking id need around 7m?? can buy it on a 7m roll so im hoping one will be enough going to chuck a inline fuel filter to. Will also be replacing the oil injection lines.

pretty sure i have my stater problem worked out, all teeth on the ring gear are fine but there were bits of plastic/ metel floating around in the mag cover area and im assuming they where getting stuck between the starter and ring gear and jaming it up. also cleaned out alot of metal fillings.

your prob was the poopy aftermarket starter but getting everything clean in the mag housing is a good thing.

The pickups from the 97+ or if you order new have an improved pickup bracket. I have a few available if you need one. Shipping is cheap for anything I can jam into a bubble mailer.

yup been alot better with the stock starter will never buy a arfter market one now, they seem cheap and rubish

thanks mate will keep that in mind rang up a few places around here and got a quote on one and they want $200 for a sensor, so i decided to make my own new bracket and covered the lot in a silicon to help reduce vibration and all seems good so far

my steering also had alot of play in it so i decided to pull it apart and there was nothing left of the bushes, since i read that new bushes arnt avabile i made my own out of pvc pipe, not a mill of play anymore feels brand new a little tight but i prefer that gives it a bit of feel!!

carbys are off again and in the shop getting a rebuild so illl be replacing the rest of the fuel lines while the carbys are away

once i get it all back ill be able to take it out for the first time, been polishing the hull and its come up mint

thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back