problem with the starter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Fredamateur

Hi everyone, after one years I have a new problem, I replaced the solenoid, the starter. new solenoid, new starter and not engine star. starter doesn't release it keep stuck up in the flywheel spinning slowly, battery is 12.5volt. 2000 seadoo challenger jet boat 240 efi M2.

THANKS, Any help.

Hi everyone, after one years I have a new problem, I replaced the solenoid, the starter. new solenoid, new starter and not engine star. starter doesn't release it keep stuck up in the flywheel spinning slowly, battery is 12.5volt. 2000 seadoo challenger jet boat 240 efi M2.

THANKS, Any help.

So your engine cranks, but does not start.
If the engine does not start, it is normal for the starter gear to stay meshed in the flywheel. If you turn the flywheel by hand (key OFF), the starter gear should move down. What is the voltage at the starter while cranking?

Flywheel spinning slowly????
How slowly? Slower than it used to? Should be 300-400 RPM. What is your battery voltage while cranking? Do you have a hand tach to check cranking RPM? Do you have spark on all 6 cylinders? Have you ever done a compression test? All plugs out, full throttle, NOT in the water. Looking for 135psi on all 6 cylinders.

Last edited:
Hi Sr. thanks for your answer, I Did everything you Said, I Double checked and everything is ok except now there are not Sparks in the spark plus I only replaced the starter.

Hi Sr. thanks for your answer, I Did everything you Said, I Double checked and everything is ok except now there are not Sparks in the spark plus I only replaced the starter.

When you crank the engine, and it does not start, the gear stays up and meshed in the flywheel right? When that happens, turn key OFF, pull emergency lanyard. With a socket and ratchet on the flywheel nut, rotate CLOCKWISE. If all is normal, this will drive the starter gear back down. This is what happens when the engine starts. What is the voltage at the starter while cranking?

As for no spark, that is another problem. Start at the kill lanyard. Does it depress the center button?
On the top to the engine, aft of flywheel- there is a black wire with yellow stripe. Disconnect it and check for spark again.
Still no spark? Start checking all connections and grounds (including those at the starter). Including all "waterproof" connectors.

Do you still have the OEM trigger under the flywheel?
Mercury used some crappy wire then and the insulation crumbles off over time.
Allowing short circuits and failures.

One more time thank youđź‘Ť, the problem was with the lanyard it's broken inside ( CRAK ) doesn't push the button enough, when I push with my finger the button, engine run perfect So I need a replacement any Idea. the original for my 2000 seadoo challenger 2000 is very expensive.

thank you

One more time thank youđź‘Ť, the problem was with the lanyard it's broken inside ( CRAK ) doesn't push the button enough, when I push with my finger the button, engine run perfect So I need a replacement any Idea. the original for my 2000 seadoo challenger 2000 is very expensive.

thank you

I bought a new OEM Mercury switch at a marine junkyard. $20 with TWO lanyards. It was a perfect fit.

Back