96 spx mpem or stator???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shasta seadoo

ok so i hate to start a new thread for such a common problem but i cant seem to find exact problems/solutions as mine to determine whats wrong with my ski. what i have is a 96 spx 717. bought it with blown top end, bored and rebuilt it, fired it up for about 3 seconds and shut it down (sounded great!) then heard a "sizzle" from mpem box, turns out was wrong fuse, burned up mpem, after it sat for a few months i removed flywheel and removed lots of typical metal shavings, stator and flywheel appeared to be pretty clean, i ordered a new aftermarket mpem off ebay, hooked it up, got a beep or two like usual, started cranking and was pleased, added fuel next day cranked a few times n started blowing 5 amp fuse. now just pushing lanyard switch will pop fuse.if i unplug grey 4 wire stator plug it wont pop fuse. i have read numerous threads about testing and seems to be some differing specs. i checked the manual and im getting readings that are confusing the heck outta me.

first, the stator, when i check yellow to yellow/black wires i get a reading of .8 ohms.i read a thread that said it should be between .05-.6? also, when i cross tester wires it says .5 ohms. so im not sure if should subtract that from final reading or not. and have tester set at 200 ohms. anytime i test from those wires to a ground the meter doesnt do anything.

and for the mpem there are lots of wires so here we go...

red ring terminal - red female terminal manual calls for less than 1 ohm, i get .7
red ring terminal - red/purple female terminal calls for less than 1 ohm, i get .6
red ring terminal - black ring calls for greater than 20k i get no change from meter
black/red male terminal - black ring calls for greater than 10k i get 10.27
yellow/red - black ring calls for greater than 10k i get 14.75
black ring - red ring terminal calls for greater than 10k i get no change from meter

new unit has no:
white/grey
tan/black
yellow/red male

so i guess im asking if anyone can confirm or correct me and give me any ideas on what to do or look at now...
i realize this is a lot of info and there are many possibilities but im ready to dive in, been over 110 degrees in nor cal for far too long without the DOO on the water!

It sounds like the MPEM. What aftermarket MPEM did you buy? You probably would be better off buying a good used one.

Lou

To test the rectifier/voltage regulator just unplug the red wire, if your problem clears up replace the rectifier.

Lou

well i wish i could say rectifier/voltage regulator was the problem but just tried it and still popped fuse. i tried it first with stator plug unplugged and didnt pop, plugged in stator plug hit lanyard switch and pop! think im going to try to find someone in the area who has a similar ski and see if my mpem will work in their ski without popping the fuse. unless one of you gents has a better/faster idea lol i have heard the vts can pop that fuse but i have never had it hooked up since i bought the ski. i did test the motor just for giggles and it does in fact work, previous owner must have thought it may have been the problem with popping fuse.

i really appreciate the speedy responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back