96 seadoo xp custom build

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gel is still better. I won't be beaching this. Silver is the plan....something like this
106.jpg

On installing the egt's on the spec two where is the best place to put them? The same place as i did with the speck one pipe?

About an inch back from the surface that mates to the cylinders. If you have a stock mani around it's where those tabs are that get cut off.

Got some more work done. Got the ski flipped back over.20170215_205652.jpg

Started to take all the old decals off.20170215_205652.jpg

Did some sanding to clean it up to see what all needs to be repaired.20170216_000114.jpg

Cut a hole in the dash for the bilge pump switch and the information gauge. I also trimmed out the opening under the seat for the pipe to make it easier to get in and out. I also drilled a hole in the back of the jet ski to install a bilge pump20170215_232124.jpg20170215_232129.jpg

Then I took care of the rivets from the mats. Sanded them up and then used duraglass to go over top of them after I knock them through the hall. I also use duraglass to fix some of my flaws in the hall.20170216_001659.jpg20170216_001704.jpg20170216_001710.jpg

Last night I started painting the pipe and the nozzle so I'll have some pictures of them tonight. I also plan to finish sanding the top and getting that ready for paint. The plan is to shoot the paint tomorrow. Also if I have enough time I'd like to get a jump on the hood tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
For your next resto on the rivet holes, once the duraglass just starts to harden you can cut off the excess with a razor blade and there is no sanding required. Makes it much faster.

Looking good.:thumbsup:

Nice work man you have me wanting to paint the top of my 2001 XP that I just pulled into the shop.

For your next resto on the rivet holes, once the duraglass just starts to harden you can cut off the excess with a razor blade and there is no sanding required. Makes it much faster.

Looking good.[emoji106]
Or, look in my 95xp800 thread. I hole punch tape so all i get is a small round circle.

20170216_234546.jpgsanded down my duraglass spots then put them in primer.
20170216_234553.jpg20170216_234610.jpg20170216_234605.jpg took me about 3.5 HR last night to sand the whole ski by hand with 320 and a block. Then I used scuff and clean with a Scotch-Brite pad to ensure I got everthing. On my holes I patched under the mats I just hit them with a DA to knock them down smooth since they will be covered and painted. Next step is to tape it up and let the paint fly.

Nice work man you have me wanting to paint the top of my 2001 XP that I just pulled into the shop.

thanks man, very easy to do. I know a lot of people around here dont like me painting skis but when i look at the skis i want them to be like new. just one of them things lol

View attachment 39130sanded down my duraglass spots then put them in primer.
View attachment 39131View attachment 39132View attachment 39133 took me about 3.5 HR last night to sand the whole ski by hand with 320 and a block. Then I used scuff and clean with a Scotch-Brite pad to ensure I got everthing. On my holes I patched under the mats I just hit them with a DA to knock them down smooth since they will be covered and painted. Next step is to tape it up and let the paint fly.
Nice touch on filling matt holes!

Hey so heres a tip for you . I got this stuff from ebay called Oil Eaters concentrated degreaser. Sprayed down inside hull and ran through pressure washer at car wash ( ya really enviromentally Oregon friendly) wicked stuff. Inside hull turned out show room new. This stuff will eat decals so carefull.

When you removed the bumper trim you had to drill out the rivets so when you reinstall will you be attaching the same way? Does anyone know the size and length of the factory rivets? Do you apply any sealer on them as well? Always wondered about that.

Hey so heres a tip for you . I got this stuff from ebay called Oil Eaters concentrated degreaser. Sprayed down inside hull and ran through pressure washer at car wash ( ya really enviromentally Oregon friendly) wicked stuff. Inside hull turned out show room new. This stuff will eat decals so carefull.
Thanks I'll look in to that

Looks like they have two versions. The original and the current stuff. You remember what label looked like? Was gonna try some out but I fear the new stuff might be a cut down version like a lot of the chemicals on the market today vs back then.

when you removed the bumper trim you had to drill out the rivets so when you reinstall will you be attaching the same way? Does anyone know the size and length of the factory rivets? Do you apply any sealer on them as well? Always wondered about that.

yes you drill the rivets out. You can pick them up from menards. Let me look tonight. Dont use any sealer. On the corners and the front bumper i use bolts though.

Not to de-rail the thread but could you post the part # on those as well? Very useful information!

They are both on my work bench. I will post a picture as soon as I get home tonight.

The ones I got for the trim were a little longer than the ones Ankenyou posted and for a couple of mine I wouldn't want to go any shorter. I did have to get creative on the front bumper because the hole is so small and recessed the pop rivet gun wouldn't fit in so I had to make a spacer to get the rivet in and allow the gun to actually clamp down.

Direct from McMaster Carr
The trim ones are..
0.876"-1" 1.2" 0.394" 0.063" 310 500 50 97447A072 $6.74
The little knee plastic cover ones are...
0.501"-0.625" 0.775" 0.262" 0.04" 120 150 250 97447A145 $10.07

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good man, is it the same silver on your other ski?

Its probably better to do it at the car wash than your house because the car washes (at least around here) recycle a lot of water and have grease traps to catch oil on the way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back