96 seadoo xp custom build

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 95 baffles have more back pressure then the 96's. Both of those are the flat plate with holes in it style facing the flow.

The 97 waterboxes have a tube welded inside that direct flow. The 97 HX waterbox is a "holy grail" part because there were so few 97HX's and the waterbox gives an improvement legal in the stock race class.

In 98 Seadoo started making changes for sound consideration(actually starting in 96 the HX wb has water lines added to cut sound down now that I think about it). The exhaust outlet was moved so it was facing the pump on the 98SPX. My thoughts are that they might have more inside the 98-99SPX waterboxes but I have not seen the inside of them. They are well built and don't have baffle breaking issues but I don't think they flow like the 97's.

Worst part, i have several water boxes. All painted white, no part numbers, no idea what year x4 they're from. These were painted by someone, not seadoo. Got them in a lump of left overs

I have a 97 water box and a 96. I'll try the one lee. Might as well brake it down one day and see what they put out

Ok so as racer said. How do you identify a 97' SPX waterbox

It's white original paint but so are all the other 97 waterboxes. Only the SPX box will fit in a X4 though. There are two things to look for if the muffler is out of the boat....

1) Make sure the outlet comes out of the rear most part of the can. Some boxes have the outlet coming out of the mid section.

2) Inlet location! This one is trickier. Look straight into the inlet with the outlet facing upward. All inlets come out of the lower part of the body of the can but the difference is weather it's left or right. The SPX wb has the inlet going into the right lower side of the can. If your attempting to install the wrong one the inlet hits the rear left engine mount.

So like this?
s-l1600_zpsx2iwdzzw.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Although this one sure looks silver like a 98-99.

Found this too,
Bill O. "In 1997, Sea Doo made a commitment to upgrade their waterboxes If you look down into a 1997 787 box through the exaust inlet tube, you will see a nicly curved tube directing the flow to newly degisned baffels and routing through the baffels.
The 1995-1996 boxes had a round inlet tube that basically let the exhaust gasses go into the box straight and just bounce off a flat faced solid baffel. The exit hole through that baffel was located on the other side, with nothing to guide the flow over in that direction.
I have never seen a baffel come loose in a 1997 or later box. I have shaken dozens of '95-'96 boxes that rattled like a loud baby rattle.

It did not stop with just the 787's, all of their boxes work as good or better than most aftermarket boxes, and they can be modified to work even better on some models, and not on others.
The only thing I count about comparing WB's, is good solid and reliable dyno numbers when using one engine and two or more different boxes on it on a dyno."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I can't see the inlet straight on but it looks to be on the right side as needed. The color is a little hard to verify as you say but if it's white that's the one.

Ok guys did some more sanding tonight. I'll post up pics tomorrow. I do have a question, what kinda splash gard do you guys run?

I hear the hydro-turf ones rip off pretty easy. Given the chance to do it again I would go JetTrim too.

Lol, Atlantic Ocean has eaten a few of those from me.
I stick with these cause there cheap and im always rubbing them on the ceilling when there on my head and im on a ladder. They sink like rocks tho.
Haha. I doubt those salty Hondas are throwing water on you all the time like an x4. I only use one time ride earlier/later in the season. I was breaking my spx in last April and it was damn cold in ohio.
Far from a dry ride those pigs, I think matts carbon x4 has the splash guard, thats the only x4 I've rode

we bypassed a 787 water box this summer temporaily due to broken hose. Think went nuts off idle. hearing damage does not describe volume levels. anyway got me thinking the improvement was more of not forcing water out. Jetworks valve is pretty cool piece to limit water flow at idle.

Well I give up on the gel. Not sure what's going on but I can't get the finish to come out even, it's very splotchey. So I'm sick of it and I'm just going to scuff it and shoot it with ppg. So I should have the bottom done Friday. I have wasted 6 weeks or so on this and a ton of time and I'm just not happy with it so I'm going to stick with what I know best...

Well ski is ready to shot tomorrow night and paint booth is up.
87.jpg

105.jpg
the thing is done lol. Started sandblasting parts like the ride plate and Rd nozzle and pipe so that's getting painted next. I'll flip the ski Tuesday and paint the top on thursday...things are going to really take off.

On another note, my single gauge hood doesn't have a gauge in it now. I haven't looked but will I need to cut s hole in it or is it like a nock out?

105.jpg
the thing is done lol. Started sandblasting parts like the ride plate and Rd nozzle and pipe so that's getting painted next. I'll flip the ski Tuesday and paint the top on thursday...things are going to really take off.

On another note, my single gauge hood doesn't have a gauge in it now. I haven't looked but will I need to cut s hole in it or is it like a nock out?

Looks great! How many coats of paint and clear? Did you end up wet sanding? Looks really smooth and glossy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back