RESTO Carbon Fiber X4 951 Conversion Build

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after having just about every single thing I needed to build a really nice fun 787 96 XP I found a nice Big Red Racing x4 hull and decided to go with the larger 951 conversion instead & sell the XP to fund this project. This was heavily influenced by my buddy Nick whom recently built a killer 951 x4 setup. This will be a slow build and I am waiting on tons of parts but it will be well documented along the way. Still working out some issues on the family GTX *thing has gremlins* unfortunately so this project wont get much love for another week or so. Anywho here are some quick pics before I do anything at all to this ski.

As for the plans I have a pretty solid idea in my head of parts I want to run and how I want to run them but I am sure I will have a million questions along the way. First 951 motor I have owned and the first ground up build as well. I haven't decided what to do yet as far as color scheme goes. Debating between my original idea or just doing a restore with the colors already on it including the BRR logo's but clean up all the rest. The hull itself is in great shape, a few holes from previously mounted hardware on the sides and some paint flake in the footwell's but overall not bad at all. Looks like a CF bottom and a stock top that's been grinded down quite a bit in various areas.

Some things may be mentioned twice as some items I procured a while ago and then found another option/alternative in the meanwhile I couldn't pass up. More pics and finally crack her open shortly. Waiting on the large items to arrive such as full motor w/pipe, head, exhaust outlet, skat pump etc.

I will point out this will be a pump gas build. I just want to build a very nice, super clean ski that will run its ass off day in and day out for rec use.

Hull:
Big Red Racing carbon fiber x4 hull
Carbon fiber two gauge hood *on order*
RNR Fuel Cap
Billet Exhaust Outlet *on order*
Want: CF water box, cf grab bar
Versi plug or blowsion version for rear of ski/ditch factory bailers/ ?*

Motor:

951 w/Pro X Pistons 1.00
White Pipe
Miller Head “45cc dome/?”
R&D Intake Manifold
Rinaldi Reeds
Exhaust – TBD, TRD or Carbon Fiber is the preference

Monitoring:
Koso EGT Gauge *needs mount*
TinyTach RPM gauge *needs mount*
Bilge switch+Pump+Outlet x2?
MSD Enhancer

Pump:
155 Bronze Pump w/Machined Shoe
Jet Dynamics #6 intake grate
Skat 148mm Pump *previously modified for 787 pattern*
Skat Venturi Exit nozzle w/insert *not sure the size yet*

Handling/Steering:
R&D Steering
Blowsion handle bar
Three button holder
Umi Finger throttle
ODI Grips
RNR Sponsons *not purchased yet/may inquire about carbon fiber sponson*
RNR 3* Trim Tabs

Good pic of the XP I sold and the GTX that wants to make my life a living hell;

Please don't paint that hull. Any alteration of that history would be a downgrade in my opinion.

I'd recommend using sponsons and trim tabs that work. I've never heard any speed test results on those tabs. That's not how R&D got the slight upward angle that brought the mph back. Those look a little thick also but maybe it's just the pics. If they work that's great but I would like to see some installed pics and test results.

The white pipe sounds like a perfect choice for pump gas performance. Building the 951 will be fun they are actually a pretty simple beast.

Not sure what you paid for the hull but I'd offer you $1700 and pay shipping.

In my opinion I'd keep it period correct on the outside at least..please don't paint that hull or even pull any stickers off..thats 90's history at it's best. and I would use period correct parts, R&d trim tabs, beach house sponsons, umi steering and bars.

I had offered this gentleman my good running RXX in NC for that hull but I didn't hear back so I went ahead and booked shipping to have it shipped down to me.

Digitol- I'll try and leave my strong opinions and jealousy out of it from here and just help when you need me.

I appreciate the offer and sorry for the delay in response. I had a jam packed weekend and didn't really have any catch-up time until late last night. That ski looked great however I just really want to build my own. I've already got a lot invested into this project and spent months searching for a great hull/platform to start with. Nothing really fell into my lap it was a lot of digging and research that led me to all the parts I accumulated for this build. I understand there is history with the hull the only reason I debated doing a restore paint wise is because although it looks ok in pics the white gel coat is cracked on the hull in several locations and the red paint flakes off with a finger nail. Cosmetics are still up in the air I really don't care how it looks right now I am going to be moving forward with getting the motor and pump in her first.

I'll be spending the next week fixing up the gtx before a family vacation but I've got another pallet of parts arriving this week to get the ball rolling.

Parts wise besides the million small odds and ends I should have all my main parts to get started. Planning on running the skat pump with a modified shoe/ride plate but we shall see.

As for the front mount to keep it simple and clean I am looking at modifying the front cover plate and relocating the mount to the left side like the 787. Ordered a spare cover plate to use for mock up.

Skat pump, 951 motor with fresh top end, miller head, R&d intake, Skat nozzle, billet exhaust outlet and some misc are due to arrive this week

More parts arrived today. Still working on the gtx to hopefully have it running by next weekend for a family trip. When I get back I will tear into everything and start cleaning it all up. The pump is a 148 skat but its been modified previously but never used. I will have to take a closer look and see if its usable for this build. Its a 148 12 vein, skat nozzle & unsure on the impeller size currently. The umi was thrown in but I believe its for an HX. Will need a replacement bearing but after that I am sure someone could use it. Going to probably get everything going and installed then pull parts for powdercoat.

The pipe is a 97.5 white pipe just painted black on top but I actually found a different yet very similar pipe I plan to run that should be here next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell I would give you a good condition X4 hull for FREE just so you didn't destroy that piece of history...sucks seeing stuff like this happen for guys like Matt Braley and many others who truly appreciate that hull exactly the way it sits...something to think about

Hell I would give you a good condition X4 hull for FREE just so you didn't destroy that piece of history...sucks seeing stuff like this happen for guys like Matt Braley and many others who truly appreciate that hull exactly the way it sits...something to think about

I made the thread to document progress, share information or ask questions from experienced members on part choices or options. I haven't decided on anything yet other than making a hull that was built to go fast..go fast..I don't consider that destroying anything. Nothing cosmetic will be changed other than needed mods for the pump and so fourth for now or maybe ever. This thing has been collecting dust for probably 5+ years and passed around between people. It needs to be on the water not on a shelf which is where I plan on putting it. Its a race hull not a trophy. If modifying a already heavily modified hull to make it rip again is destroying it then I guess I am destroying it.

Either way, I will document the progress.

Nothing new for a week or so, family vacation planned.

New pipe on the way. 97.5 ported exhaust manifold and pipe, also tapped for water injection. Combo yields 200-400 rpm increase. Not that I am focused on top speed it will be nice to be over 70mph and still have arm yanking acceleration! Good goals anyways :)

I was under the impression you were going to take off all the nostalgic Decals and paint over all the red. If not then sweet, mod it out man and definitely get her on the water!

Well I just got back from a little family vacation over the holiday. With the help of my buddy she is....split! This will make things way easier to work with. I had 18-20 hull nuts/bolts from RNR made so I can remove the top when-ever. My buddy nick split his build and has had no water issues using a rubber gasket around the base.

Currently looking at the pump setup, debating my options, seeking advice and calling around to machine shops.

Ive got a stock 155 pump and a milled shoe and I also have a skat 148 pump thats been drilled for the 787 pattern. The idea was to use the skat pump with the milled out shoe but it will need more mill work to sit flush. I am also working on prying the existing shoe off the hull..Its like they used a smide of glue on the hull seams but then emptied several tubes worth on the inside of the hull and pump area. I cant just bottle jack it up because the hull is extremely thing back there, like see through thin and there are several cracks and chips showing cloth already that will be addressed shortly.

I've got some candy paint on order to re-do my steering setup to a more color appropriate setup for this hull

Anywho here's some progress pics.

"deleted due to photobucket issue"

Attachments

• 2AFFC37F-8916-4942-8779-4A69110C0A47_zpskzdzvkor.jpg
    2AFFC37F-8916-4942-8779-4A69110C0A47_zpskzdzvkor.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 23
Yup time for everyone to move away from photobucket. They've screwed me out of YEARS of detailing threads. Fortunately in the recent past I switched to flickr so those are saved at least.

Yup time for everyone to move away from photobucket. They've screwed me out of YEARS of detailing threads. Fortunately in the recent past I switched to flickr so those are saved at least.
Lol, the free ride can't last forever

Yep, got the same thing from photobucket last night. SUCKS! I am not sure yet if they will kill my exisiting links or not.

I agree, thanks for the warning Photobucket. I can't imagine anybody paying them after that junk.

and $65 per year for the cheap plan. Adios. ...Sorry for the hijack.... May open another warning/bitch thread...

Its alright, I havnt had time to look at my other photo hosting options yet. I had soo many tech threads for paintball tuning and equiptment as well as seadoo threads, car threads ugh you name it. I've basically used them since they got started. I think somewhere along the lines of 15 years or more if memory serves.

I have been working on removing the existing pump shoe. Its glued on there goooooood. I may end up cutting it down the middle and prying off that way. I have one side pretty loose but the other is on there really good.

The hull is very, very thin back there so I dont trust the standard method of bottle jack and am doing it by hand slowly. I have a 95 xp 800 plate in the mail to eliminate the speedo plate. Also I think its going to be easier to start with a stock shoe and modify it then the shoe I have that was milled for the 155 pump.

The pump is a skat-trak 148mm D pump. So basically 155 pump turned into a 148 if I am not mistaken. With that being said its very meaty. The bolt pattern was originally for the 155 but the bottom ears were cut off re positioned and welded and re-drilled. It will be easy to confirm its 100% on point once I have the pump alignment tool and plate here. I know at the very least the ribs on the shoe will need to be removed and most likely the bottom of the skat will need to be shaved so it fits within the ride plate.

Question: Is there normally a seal between the pump and the nozzle setup? This pump came with a skat nozzle w/ring insert *86mm* and a unknown size steering nozzle but no seals between the two. If i do need to have the pump shaved down I would keep the surface area for these flush as they are but I was just curious if generally this is a dry seal. I will have a better idea once I get the old shoe off or the new shoe to sit this on the bench and take a look at it. Plenty of meat on this pump that is for sure.

In other news my parts ski never had the tank recall done so I will have a fresh gas tank for the build.

I've got some red candy paint in last night so I am going to paint a few pieces and see how it looks. I loved the gold but i don't think it will fit into this build theme so trying out some red to repaint it.

View attachment 40784
View attachment 40785
View attachment 40786
View attachment 40787
View attachment 40788
View attachment 40789
View attachment 40790
View attachment 40791
View attachment 40792
View attachment 40793
View attachment 40794

Ill try to keep it better organized going forward. Just a pain to upload 1 pic at a time :(

Anywho, still working on getting the old pump shoe off. Contacting local machinist to inquire about getting this pump shaved down a bit more to match the shoe. Also stripping some gold painted pieces and testing out candy red to see how it looks. I tore the pump down for the most part and found it has a skat 14/21 impeller inside. It has a little damage to the fins but i dont think it will be an issue at all to have it cleaned up. I will reach out to impro's with regards to a rebuild kit for the skat. It spins freely and all I just figured if the cost isnt too bad it would be better to know its all fresh now then circle back later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back