95 XP Project/Start Problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Chandler

Hi all, i am new to this forum and am now a proud first time ski owner.

Background- i picked up a 95 XP last week for what seems like a steal ($700) the hull is in great shape, hardly a scratch on it, and came with a nice trailer. the ski also came with some upgrades (R&D intake, lager pipe and a couple impellers) which were all a plus. the guy i got it from hadn't used it since around 02. I am in the process of going through the engine and other parts all of which point to very low hours. i pulled the plugs which showed low use and i pulled the cabs apart which where also unbelievably clean.

The Problem- part of the reason for the low price was he couldn't start the thing. he was told that the DESS key needs to be reprogrammed

i picked up a new battery today to start digging around with the electronics. when i put the key on i'm not getting the 2 beeps. and when i press the start button i'm getting a sustained beep that will only go away by disconnecting the battery. this also happens if there is no key on it. i am stuck between whether or not to replace the mpem with a replacement i found on ebay that can accept any key or trying to get it reprogrammed and hope the thing wont forget the key sometime or replace the whole white box because one of the spark plug boots fell off.

any input would be much appreciated :D
Thanks!

Link to mpem on ebay below:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200959883286?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you show us a picture of inside the hull and a picture of your lanyard and post. 95 xps like what is in your picture did not come with dess posts unless someone paid to add it later on... Which I've never actually heard of anyone doing. If you are getting beeps that is an indicator that you do have dess, but Im willing to bet there is a different motor under that hood. Send us pics and we can help you further.

definitely a 95XP in the signature pict, but I agree with the post above. The buzzer on the 95 shouldn't beep when installing the lanyard, unless its coming on for another reason, so if you getting power up beeps it might not be oem 1995 electronics. I think there were DESS kits you could add to these, but I am not 100% sure & I am never personally seen one.
Do tell more! ;)

So the debate begins, I had a 95XP 717 and I'm pretty sure it had an MPEM, it did have a DESS post. I believe 1995 was the first year for MPEM's some ski's had it, some didn't.

Lou

I am just chiming in here to learn a bit about the 95's.

As for the sparkplug boot that is no problem. they are just push/twisted on to the plug wire and held in place with a zip tie.

After an engine has been sitting that long I would take the time to look inside and check for rust etc.

Oh, and welcome to Seadooforum!

The 95 XP800 had DESS from the factory, the 95 XP 720 you could add the DESS as an accessory to replace the standard safety post.

So the debate begins, I had a 95XP 717 and I'm pretty sure it had an MPEM, it did have a DESS post. I believe 1995 was the first year for MPEM's some ski's had it, some didn't.

Lou

158.jpg

when i put the lanyard on i get no sound and when i hit the start button i get a loud non-stop beep which will only go away if i disconnect the battery

here are some pictures
image (1).jpg
image (2).jpg
image (3).jpg
image (4).jpg
image (5).jpg

Try disconnecting the temperature sensor b/w the spark plugs.
It sometimes shorts out.

That's pretty cool, I never have seen a regular 95 XP with the DESS. The accessory kit has a separate DESS label that goes around the post. I wonder if back in the day they provided a full dash decal or if you could order the ski with the DESS from the factory.
[MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] can check your MPEM for a reasonable fee and also has good used OEM MPEM's. I wouldn't go for that aftermarket MPEM.

Ok. Let's try a few simple things. Jump the solenoid and tell us ingot cranks. If it does, it is likely the DESS, small wires or MPEM. I suspect that it will crank. I'm not sure if the older DESS is different from the newer DESS, but [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] can test and reprogram the lanyard I you send him both the lanyard and MPEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, Jim! Can you post a picture of the inside of the electrical box and the part number on the back of the MPEM? With some of the stuff that's on this ski you might have an aftermarket rev limiter or something else in the e-box that is interfering with proper operation of the MPEM. Might be as simple as a wiring problem... definitely some interesting symptoms.

What the heck is this thing - AM fuel pump?

164.jpg

On the MPEM, I've used ArielTek on a few skis, they make a great product, but agree with the other posts - OEM is preferable - and Tonka can test yours and/or set you up with a good used unit if necessary.

Yeah that's a fuel pump, looks like it's off a sled, but I guess they're all universal

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Yep this thing is modded up...got a factory pipe on it too.

I would imagine once you dig into the Grey box youll find a rev limiter in there too.

You can send me your MPEM and I can bench test it. If it is good I can program a key to it for you.

If it doesnt work, I can sell you an MPEM with programmed key.

This is prob. the first time Ive seen pictures of an actual dealer installed DESS accessory!

i have looked through the box yesterday i noticed a MSD ignition module in there, i also noticed there was a purple and yellow (i think) wire that appeared to be crushed in a few places. it looks like it was stuck between the two halves of electrical box for a while. ill post some box pictures later when i get home.

thanks for all the help guys :thumbsup:

Yessir, the plug cap can just be screwed back on.... Unless the wire itself is too short...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crushed wire is no big deal...see it all the time. The plug wire looks like the screw part is broken off in the wire, if it is you need to get that out and replace the cap.

Since you're dealing with an electrical gremlin, I think the first thing to do is isolate the MSD box and pull it out of the equation. It would really suck to have a problem in the rev box, replace the MPEM, and immediately fry a brand new one. Chances are the MPEM is still good, and pulling the MSD out of the equation will solve the problem.

Even if pulling the MSD out has no effect, I'd keep it on the bench until the ski is running correctly with factory electronics. just my two cents.

[MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] last year programmed a key for me for a 95 xp 717. First time I saw one and mine was a dealer installed one too.

576.jpg

577.jpg

578.jpg

448.jpg

And then [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] found this on ebay that same week

579.jpg

I thought the owner had no idea what he was talking about. When I called on it he said it would not start because he did not have the dess key I thought he was nuts. We had bought at least 5 717 95 xp's at that point and I never heard of or saw a 95 with a dess. It is neat to see yours actually has the dash decal that says dess.

i jumped the starter earlier, it turned of with no problem. ill see what it takes to remove the MSD from the box. i did notice that there is some bubbling in the outer skin of the MSD box on the bottom as if the outer coating separated from the internals of the box is there any wiring diagrams our there to help me reconnect things to the right places?

BTW i checked any fuses i could find none of them where blown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back