Key not registering

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

BruceXP116

Woke up today to take my 1996 xp to the lake. Battery was dead so I took it out and replaced it with another one(also dead at the time but didn’t know, lost its charge) put the key on and nothing. Charged up the old one and put it in. Electrical turns on, but it’s not registering my key. Tried with another key and it gave a beep right away. But with the normal key, it doesn’t give a beep until you press the start. It gives one beep and then the system shuts off(Gauge’s shuts off). The ski ran perfect about 3-4 months ago

One beep means not recognizing key. Clean the inside of the key cap and key post. If still not working then refer to the end of section 8 in the 96 shop manual for basic and advanced DESS diagnostics. Might be the DESS post or wiring issue to the post. There should be some tests for the post in the shop manual

One beep means not recognizing key. Clean the inside of the key cap and key post. If still not working then refer to the end of section 8 in the 96 shop manual for basic and advanced DESS diagnostics. Might be the DESS post or wiring issue to the post. There should be some tests for the post in the shop manual
Did that and got the 2 short beeps. The key can’t be defective because it detects my other key and the wrong one. I checked all of the wiring and it all seems to be in place

So you are saying now after cleaning the key and post it gives 2 beeps then still shuts off? If that is so then test the DESS post. There should be a black and a black/yellow running from the DESS post to the front electrical box (MPEM). Disconnect them and measure the resistance between them. It should be close to 0 ohms when the key is on the post and an open circuit when the key is removed. There is a magnetic switch inside the DESS post an yours may be closing to get the 2 beeps but then opening with the key still on to cause the ski to turn off.

So you are saying now after cleaning the key and post it gives 2 beeps then still shuts off? If that is so then test the DESS post. There should be a black and a black/yellow running from the DESS post to the front electrical box (MPEM). Disconnect them and measure the resistance between them. It should be close to 0 ohms when the key is on the post and an open circuit when the key is removed. There is a magnetic switch inside the DESS post a yours may be closing to get the 2 beeps but then opening with the key still on to cause the ski to turn off.
No, it’s getting 2 short beeps for the diagnostic saying that is it the key since the wires are good. Why would the key just not work after sitting for some time?

So what happens after the 2 beeps. You press the start button and what happens.

The problem could be with either the key, the MPEM or the DESS post and associated wiring. In order to test the key and MPEM you would need special equipment (or a second 96 XP) and probably need to send them out to a place like Westside Powersports. Since you are confident in the DESS wiring I would try a couple of things. If your keycap has a center tab that can be bent up a little for better contact on the post try that. You may have also tried to put the ski into advanced diagnostic mode described in section 08-06 of the 96 shop manual. That might give another beep code to help identify what is wrong. I would then change the DESS post before sending out the key and MPEM.

Kinda sounds like a key problem had the same problem with mine the other day I took a screw driver an pushed all the contacts up against the body of key and made sure the key wasn’t out of round. All so make sure the post and key are clean. And try disconnecting the temp sensor sometimes that causes crazy things

The problem could be with either the key, the MPEM or the DESS post and associated wiring. In order to test the key and MPEM you would need special equipment (or a second 96 XP) and probably need to send them out to a place like Westside Powersports. Since you are confident in the DESS wiring I would try a couple of things. If your keycap has a center tab that can be bent up a little for better contact on the post try that. You may have also tried to put the ski into advanced diagnostic mode described in section 08-06 of the 96 shop manual. That might give another beep code to help identify what is wrong. I would then change the DESS post before sending out the key and MPEM.
I tried a backup post so it must be the key

Kinda sounds like a key problem had the same problem with mine the other day I took a screw driver an pushed all the contacts up against the body of key and made sure the key wasn’t out of round. All so make sure the post and key are clean. And try disconnecting the temp sensor sometimes that causes crazy things
I am going to unplug the temp sensor now that you say that and let you know if it worked😂

Back