95 sp wont run in water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyS

Just got my sp out of storage of @2yrs. Cleaned carbs, new battery, and replaced grey fuel lines with automotive lines. The ski starts and runs great on the trailer, but as soon as it is in the water it slowing starts dying. It will not refire. After pulling the plugs they appear to be wet, but not smelling of gas. Compression is 145-150 in both cylinders. What are the most common reasons of this. My neighbor seems to think the head gasket is blowed, because of the plugs being wet.

My neighbor seems to think the head gasket is blowed, because of the plugs being wet.

That would be a neat trick... seeing that your engine doesn't have one. The head shell is just on with big O-rings.

1) When you replaced the fuel lines, and clean the carbs... did you notice if anything was in the filters?

2) Did you drain the old fuel? 2 year old fuel isn't going to run the ski very well.

3) It's common for oil to seep past the rotary valve seals, and fill the crank case with oil. Some times, it just needs a good run to blow it out. (could be why the plugs were wet)

I would put in a fresh set of plugs, and get it to restart. (use a little starting fluid) Once it's running, don't let it idle very long. Just make sure the water is flowing, and get on the throttle to clear out the extra oil.

That would be a neat trick... seeing that your engine doesn't have one. The head shell is just on with big O-rings.

1) When you replaced the fuel lines, and clean the carbs... did you notice if anything was in the filters?

2) Did you drain the old fuel? 2 year old fuel isn't going to run the ski very well.

3) It's common for oil to seep past the rotary valve seals, and fill the crank case with oil. Some times, it just needs a good run to blow it out. (could be why the plugs were wet)

I would put in a fresh set of plugs, and get it to restart. (use a little starting fluid) Once it's running, don't let it idle very long. Just make sure the water is flowing, and get on the throttle to clear out the extra oil.

The one filter under the handle bars had some trash in it. I cleaned out the gas tank and put in fresh gas. I noticed there were several (connections) on the old gray lines. Are these of any importance? I have been around this ski since almost new and other than a battery, impeller and wear ring it has never gave any problems.

you gotta run the new lines just like the old ones... the fuel system works only one way, and their kinda touchy!

We did run them the same way, but it looked like the factory had used short pieces of line and joined them together, again it runs great on the trailer but not in the water. So i dont think that we run the fuel lines wrong.

the filters the Doc are talking about are in the side of the carb's you gotta remove them clean them out good then rebuild carb's put it all back togather, these carb filters can inhibit your ski from going they can and will get super gummed up and furthermore can help your motor run lean thus causing many more problems.....

The carb is clean, this ski only has one carb, im going to try new plugs, and fire it off and nail it, and see if this fixes it.

I never heard any mention of the fuel selector...........?

You may as well throw the thing out and get a new one for $20. It's probably gummed up to all hell.

rock dawg... i would most deff pull the selector if its been sitting for 2yrs.. the lines have been deterirating that long too. and i bet alot of that stuff has settled and gummed up in there

Dave are you talking about the fuel lines from tank to selector valve? All the fuel lines were replaced.

no the selector valve itself... they can get really gummed up inside and almost impossible to clean out all the way....their about $25.00 brand new!

Got it Going

Thanks Guys, it turned out I had several more problems. My buddies than cleaned the carb forgot/didn't know about the filter inside of it( gummed up), my selector valve was gummed up bad, and my outside fuel vent line was clogged. I also drained and refilled my oil tank as the oil was 4-5yrs old and looked a little watery. Thanks again.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Yes Dave, she cruises now. I cant wait to actually be the one riding as I'm been down with knee surgery. I had to watch from the dock as Dad did all of the test riding. For a little 580 it will fly thanks to a Skat-trak impeller that was installed shortly before it was parked.:hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back