2001 RX start question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

orbit398

So I am a new owner of this 2001 RX model, actually new to any watercraft over 2000 so learning. The craft is in fantastic shape and per the owner (car club member), it has approx 75 hrs on it. It hasn't run it 2 or so years, always stored in garage, fresh water lake near San Antonio. Bad gas and battery for starters. Drained the tank and flushed it out several times siphoning the gas out Thought of trying to remove the tank but didn't appear to fit out of the hood hole. So, I removed the tank fill tube for easier access to the tank. Each flush, I tilted the trailer up/dn to slosh the gas around, left it up so all gas at back of tank when siphoning out. Got some orangish stuff out several times, but this diminished over flushes. Filled it about halfway with gas after done. Pulled plugs, added a bit of premix as a lubricant, installed new battery and cranked it over. Saw spark plugs sparking so all seems ok. Also, it appeared to be pushing out a gas/vapor mist out of the spark plug holes.

Added a bit of premix in the plug holes, installed plugs, and tried to start. It fired up for a few seconds. I have repeated this probably five or so times thinking the pressure lines would clear out the old gas. Still noting. Each time I'd look at the plugs and they appeared wet. But it's a funky wet and doesn't really smell like gas. The wet plugs would not even catch fire with a lighter either; just a thought to try. See plug pic

So wondering what I should do now. There are no messages in the guage display. Perhaps the fuel filter (see pic) is gummed up/full of crap? Actually, it may be the original filter as it has factory crimps on it. From the gas tank, this is not high pressure, correct so easy to swap out.

Anyway, hoping there are folks out there that know about these Direct Injection engines. Looking for ideas.

Attachments

• RX Spark Plug - no start.JPG
    RX Spark Plug - no start.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 3
  • RX Fule Filter.JPG
    RX Fule Filter.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 3
If the motor won’t even turn over, start with that issue first.

When you have a good battery in and connected, what happens when you try to start it?

Thinking I have fuel delivery issues, this is what I believe I need to do for starters. Wondering what folks think....

1) ensure fuel reaching the air/fuel rail from the fuel pump, if all is ok, then
2) replace both fuel injectors with refurbished/clean ones (SouthBay Fuel Injectors)
3) replace both direct (or air) injectors with refurbished/clean ones (" " ")
3a) going to see if SouthBay can check the fuel & air pressure regulators on the air/fuel rail to ensure they are working ok

Question - per the Seadoo shop manual, it says one needs a special tool to install the Direct Injectors due to a 'carbon dam' that may expand when the injector is removed. Have folks experienced this?

thanks

Back