2009 rxt, serious damage, need some advice.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rxteaser

I recently bought my first ski, 2009 rxt 215, love it more than life itself. third time riding it, disaster. 235.jpg236.jpg237.jpg238.jpg

its almost like someone took a belt sander to it, thank god i didnt sink it and am looking into getting it fixed. Before anyone asks NO I DID NOT HIT ANYTHING, the water was pretty rough though.

for this to be fixed it needs to come off the trailer, be flipped and worked on... I need to know the complications in having a seadoo flipped for 2 weeks while the work is done. I am assuming I need to drain all fluids, oil gas coolant. Will any oil remain in the motor once it is pumped out? I just dont know if even a small ammount in the bottom onceflipped will make it to upper end of the motor, dont want any supercharger issues.

If anyone can offer me some advice on whats best to do, or how to get this done properly, please let me know. Need to geet back out on the water soon...

I have never seen gel coat crack and peel off like that without first being involved in a collision with something hard. I can't even begin to wrap my head around it. Sorry not sure on what needs to be don't to have a 4tec on it side for an extended period of time.

yeah that is really extensive damage to the hull.. maybe the PO crashed... HARD... and repaired by him self and pawned it over to you.

yeah that is really extensive damage to the hull.. maybe the PO crashed... HARD... and repaired by him self and pawned it over to you.

That sounds about right. I think I see some impact marks in the fiberglass in one of the pictures.

1. Would it be easier to just remove the motor and S/C instead of draining all the fluids and worry about any remaining leaking out?

It would also be lighter to flip.

OR..
2. put straps around it to suspend it in mid air while working on it, then lower it to a stand until next time.

3. how about a davit(???) rest the stern on a rug and suspend the bow upwards.

Can you do the repair or must you take it to a fiberglass repair shop....boat/vette shops????

1. Would it be easier to just remove the motor and S/C instead of draining all the fluids and worry about any remaining leaking out?

It would also be lighter to flip.

OR..
2. put straps around it to suspend it in mid air while working on it, then lower it to a stand until next time.

3. how about a davit(???) rest the stern on a rug and suspend the bow upwards.

Can you do the repair or must you take it to a fiberglass repair shop....boat/vette shops????

On top of a hull rebuild at 2-3 K. Pulling engine and charger willgreatly increase price. I would attempt myself it was the size of a golf ball maybe?... Not half the boat. Only guy I found in southern Ontario. He said he has a rotisserie type tool where he can spin the boat and lock it in place, I'm wondering what are the complications of holding keeping it flipped for a week or two

That damage is from a previous issue. You are looking at the "quality" repair. He didn't use the right paint or you would not have found it so fast...

It looks like fiberglass to me, which our skis do not use...

I have never seen gel coat crack and peel off like that without first being involved in a collision with something hard. I can't even begin to wrap my head around it. Sorry not sure on what needs to be don't to have a 4tec on it side for an extended period of time.

I've seen pics of delamination before.

Usually starts at what's called the "shoe". Not the pump shoe. These are depressions in the hull...thin spots...occur every once in a while. In most cases it looks like someone peels the skin like an orange.

I've seen pics of delamination before.

Usually starts at what's called the "shoe". Not the pump shoe. These are depressions in the hull...thin spots...occur every once in a while. In most cases it looks like someone peels the skin like an orange.

That I have seen. But not to the extent in the pics above.

I've seen a bunch just like that. It's the typical SeaDoo hull delam problem as Red explained. The gel coat will peel like an orange at speed. It can repaired, remove battery, drain fluids, flip it, prep it and respray gel coat. Anything loose has to come off first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back